Home » Community » General Discussion » Bending, Painting and Sealing questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Bending, Painting and Sealing questions [message #59957] Thu, 10 January 2013 02:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar mburkey  is currently offline mburkey
Go to all my models
1. I painted a FUD model with Floquil enamel. It seemed to stick fine till I started some detail work and then it seemed to smear off on my hands. So do I have to use acrylics? Floquil has some good colors and I have a healthy stock on hand and hate to go buy more just for 5 projects.

2. Is there a need to somehow seal WSF and/or color sandstone to keep them from gradually wearing?

3. I received a model with bent parts (FUD). Can I safely bend them into place with normal hot tap water, hot water just off the boil or regular hair dryer?
Re: Bending, Painting and Sealing questions [message #59970 is a reply to message #59957 ] Thu, 10 January 2013 13:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
1. FUD models may have some oil or wax on it - the wax is the support material for the printing process, the oil is used to disolve out the wax - I find a coulpe of hits in an ultrasonic cleaner with water and a few drops of washing up liquid cleans the model enough for priming. My preferred primer is Tamyia Fine Surface Primer (spray can). Then the model should be good for painting with enamels.

2. A clear coat acrylic type varnish/sealer will work well for sealing WSF, I don't know about the coloured sandstone though.

3. FUD can be manipulated using very hot water - how hot, I'm not sure, as my wife says I have asbestos fingers, so maybe up around the 75c mark (not quite hot enough to scald)

Paul

Previous Topic:Stainless steel strength for trophy
Next Topic:My 3D model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.