Home » Support » 3D Printing » Can Up! Mini print unsupported items?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Can Up! Mini print unsupported items? [message #59721] Sun, 06 January 2013 17:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar Yonih  is currently offline Yonih
Go to all my models
Hey there

I'm looking into buying the Up! Mini for model and props making.. I was wondering though of the capabilities of the printer and would like to receive some feedback from those who know..

Let's say I want to print some masks.. A full enclosed mask and just a front mask. Since a mask is bigger than 12cm ill print it in parts and glue them..

But I'm wondering if the printer can actually print the mask as there is a gap where your face comes in and it cannot be supported by plastic because it needs to be empty..

I have seen a YouTube video by a prop maker that had his Iron Man suit parts printed by ShapeWays and they did the part with quite a bit of "free of plastic" places that weren't supported by anything so it looks like its possible but I don't know of any printer can do it.. Hope I'm explaining myself right here

Found the item ShapeWays printed for better clarification
http://www.shapeways.com/model/531376/iron-man-hip-pod-life- size-from-xrobots-co-uk.html?li=productBox-search

If you get what I'm asking and can answer my question, much appreciated

[Updated on: Sun, 06 January 2013 19:11 UTC]

Re: Can Up! Mini print unsupported items? [message #59769 is a reply to message #59721 ] Mon, 07 January 2013 15:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The Up (mini) usually generates removable supports Smile
But I such questions are better suited for the up/pp3dp forum, it is here:
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/
And contains a lot of user experience with the Up.
Much more so than here, as only an handful here has a printer at home.

Cheers,

Stijn

[Updated on: Mon, 07 January 2013 15:36 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Thin wire definition
Next Topic:Are earring hooks included by shapeway team when you upload a earring model for selling purpose?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.