Home » Community » General Discussion » Incorporate a Lapel Pin with the 3D Model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Incorporate a Lapel Pin with the 3D Model [message #59668] Sat, 05 January 2013 15:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar IB3D  is currently offline IB3D
Go to all my models
I am designing an insignia and would like to include a lapel stick-pin attached to the model. (It's a pin with a push on clasp) A secondary attachment which I am considering is attaching a magnet.. What is the best procedure for me to follow? Should I have the basic model shipped to me for assembly and shipping to the customer? Can I instruct the folks at ShapeWays to assemble it and direct ship the finished product? Is there some other method available regards to minimizing additional cost to the customer?

Ask away if my description is unclear or incomplete.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Incorporate a Lapel Pin with the 3D Model [message #59673 is a reply to message #59668 ] Sat, 05 January 2013 16:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Quote:

Should I have the basic model shipped to me for assembly and shipping to the customer?

Yes. You will have to do that post-processing work yourself. Shapeways is not equipped to handle any volume whatsoever of such 'special orders'.

Your best bet is order the items in bulk yourself, add the pins and other post-processing, then offer them for sale thru other venues.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Incorporate a Lapel Pin with the 3D Model [message #59677 is a reply to message #59673 ] Sat, 05 January 2013 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar IB3D  is currently offline IB3D
Go to all my models
Thanks for the feedback, stony. That clears up my first question.

Could you (or someone) answer if it would it be inappropriate for me to sell the items on SW with either instructions for assembling the product or for listing a website for purchasing the assembled product?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Incorporate a Lapel Pin with the 3D Model [message #59678 is a reply to message #59677 ] Sat, 05 January 2013 19:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
IB3D wrote

would it be inappropriate for me to sell the items on SW with either instructions for assembling the product or for listing a website for purchasing the assembled product?

Assembly instructions are quite common around here (even including "foreign objects" like you need four M6 screws or create the handrails from copper wire) and there is even a complete forum section dedicated to them. Listing a means for purchasing the assembled product is not that uncommon either, be it in the form of a website url, etsy link or just "contact the designer" (e.g. variants of the Rubik cube in the games/puzzles sections)

Previous Topic:I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print
Next Topic:Failed model.