Home » Community » General Discussion » embedding magnets
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
embedding magnets [message #59620] Fri, 04 January 2013 17:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar kcpenner  is currently offline kcpenner
Go to all my models
I want to print a working prototype of an item that will eventually be mass-produced, made of molded plastic.

My main question: is it possible for the printing process to be stopped part of the way through for magnets to be placed in a trench in the model, then the printing would continue until the magnets are completely covered? Or should I just model 2 parts that can be glued together later with the magnet inside?

I have not modeled the item yet ...
Re: embedding magnets [message #59622 is a reply to message #59620 ] Fri, 04 January 2013 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It's possible on your own printer. Not through shapeways. I watched a video of printing a battery with a makerbot (I think) where they stopped it a few times to add components. This could be very hazardous to your print head!

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: embedding magnets [message #59623 is a reply to message #59620 ] Fri, 04 January 2013 18:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Have a look at the video linked from the "How it works" in the footer of the shapeways web pages. The processes used
are completely different from what reprap-style homebuilt machines do, also as many models as possible are printed
in the same run. Either create separate parts that you can glue together around the magnets, or perhaps design slots
where you can insert them.

Previous Topic:Up! Mini vs Stuffmaker 3D Creator
Next Topic:I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.