Home » Community » Work in progress » First design for 1:43 scale chimney
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First design for 1:43 scale chimney [message #59512] Wed, 02 January 2013 20:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar LSWRArt  is currently offline LSWRArt
Go to my shop
I have drawn one of four chimneys needed for a 1:43 scale model of a station, using Sketchup 8.
I changed the Sketchup 8 default 24 facets to 60 facets for a circle, to make the drawing as smooth as possible.
If the design is OK I will put all 4 chimenys on a common sprue.

The chimney and its cowl need to be as smooth as possible, so I propose to use Fine Detail Plastic.

Is fine Detail plastic the best material?

Can I paint this material?

Any other comments on whether this model should 3D print OK?

Many thanks for your help
LSWRArt

Re: First design for 1:43 scale chimney [message #59520 is a reply to message #59512 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 22:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Check the content on this thread: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5331 6&&srch=nyquist#msg_53316

For 'smoothest', you are going to want Frosted Ultra Detail, and you are going to want more than 60 facets to the circle(s).

If this is a standard 6 inch smoke pipe, then I'd suggest 128 or even 256 facets around the circle. For an item this small and simple, you could even go crazy and go with 512 facets around the circle just to maximize the smoothness.

You've also got it slightly more pointed than normal, I believe the "standard" is to use a 45 degree slope, or height=radius.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Batarang
Next Topic:First time uploader

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.