Home » Community » General Discussion » I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print [message #59466] Wed, 02 January 2013 12:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dean100  is currently offline Dean100
Go to all my models
Hi - Happy New Year everyone.

Complete novice here - I was referred here by a 3D printing service who recommended this community very strongly. I have to say that having been through the site I am blown away by what is happening in the world of 3D printing etc. I had no idea you could get just about anything printed and using different materials etc. I saw a feature about prntrbot (http://printrbot.com/) and thought it was quite cool - this takes things to a completely different level!! More people should know about this!!

Anyway - before I get carried away - I have checked out the compatible software page and unfortunately am none the wiser as to whether a .eps file can be used in its native format to create a 3D model. Do I need some conversion work first to a different format and if so, can you recommend anyone that can do this for me (Shapeways even?)

Thanks

Dean100
Re: I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print [message #59467 is a reply to message #59466 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 12:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
.eps files are all 2D. This page gives information about how to go about designing for 3D printing.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 January 2013 12:39 UTC]

Bill Bedford
Re: I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print [message #59492 is a reply to message #59466 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 16:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MarmaladePark  is currently offline MarmaladePark
Go to my shop
I use Illustrator a lot myself. I save my files as svg and import them into Blender. Blender is free 3D design software you can download. It's very good. Not too difficult to get your head around.
Re: I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print [message #59493 is a reply to message #59466 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 16:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MarmaladePark  is currently offline MarmaladePark
Go to my shop
If you need someone to do the 3D for you there's a section on the forum where you can ask http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id =92&
Re: I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print [message #59509 is a reply to message #59466 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Gimp will import an .eps file, and convert it to another format, or a selection to a path, and export it as a .svg. An svg can be imported into several modelling programs and turned into a curve, then a mesh, then extruded to give it depth.(i.e want a 3d object to use with a pendant, or an extrusion/engraving on an object you created. This will take some basic modelling skills.
Another use for 2D images is a new technique to take pics of several views of an object, and allow that program to create a 3D model. Its sort of a cheap alternative to a laser scanner. This will take some advanced modelling skills to clean it up for 3D printing.

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print [message #59664 is a reply to message #59466 ] Sat, 05 January 2013 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Typically what is done is to take the lines that make up the 2D drawing in your eps file and import those lines into a 3D cad software program and then extrude the lines to form a three dimensional object. From there the open ends are capped off to make a closed 3d object. Once the 3D object is created it can then be uploaded to Shapeways for 3D printing.

Probably the easiest way to do this is with Zbrush. It has a command called "make 3D" that will take a 2D image and convert it to a 3D object. All that is needed is to convert the eps to a bitmap, which can be done with any software that you can view the eps with. There is a free one called Inkscape you can download that will do the conversion to a bitmap. Zbrush you can try for free for 30 days.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: I have a .eps file - do I need to convert it to get a print [message #59665 is a reply to message #59664 ] Sat, 05 January 2013 14:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
If you were to down that route you might as will not convert the drawing to 3D and have the piece laser cut. The quality, it done in plastic, would be much better than anything that is 3D printed.

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:embedding magnets
Next Topic:Incorporate a Lapel Pin with the 3D Model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.