Home » Support » 3D Design » Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59312] Fri, 28 December 2012 16:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar blendertest  is currently offline blendertest
Go to all my models
I have placed two orders and I'm anxious to see how they come out, but I feel like I'm seeing fewer polys / vertices in the preview render that shapeways provide. So that the uploaded model is less smooth than my original file. I'm using blender for modeling and doing subdivide smooth for extra polys/smoothness as opposed to adding a modifier. Any suggestions for future uploads?
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59314 is a reply to message #59312 ] Fri, 28 December 2012 17:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Any chance that you have a smoothness render, that would make your item look smooth but not translate to more polys? I know that's possible in Blender, but I don't know which tools do what. I'm sure a Blender head will be able to help you with that.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59315 is a reply to message #59314 ] Fri, 28 December 2012 17:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
No, no smoothness, and I can see the polys. I'm not using and subserf modifers, all I do I subdivide smooth, which should create new vertices.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59316 is a reply to message #59312 ] Fri, 28 December 2012 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Interesting, can you show us a side by side comparison? I probably won't be able to help you much about what settings we use in our render until next week. You can email service, and they'll be able to help you with what your model will look like, and maybe about the render differences.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59317 is a reply to message #59316 ] Fri, 28 December 2012 18:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Here's more or less what I'm seeing, thrown together in photoshop:

Appreciate you taking a look.

http://www.slogobox.com/beta/www/images/blenderpoly.png
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59318 is a reply to message #59312 ] Fri, 28 December 2012 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
First it looks like you applied just regular subdivision.All that does is separate each face into 4 faces. You would need use the Catmull /Clark subdivision modifier and apply it. Make sure to apply it, lol. Set shading to flat to always see what the print will look like If you want, you can attach the Blendfile here in an attacmnent.

Here is a link to some examples on smoothing stuff http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=1 2123&goto=59090#msg_59090

Keith

[Updated on: Fri, 28 December 2012 19:07 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59320 is a reply to message #59318 ] Fri, 28 December 2012 19:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yeah I think I did a normal subdivide. I'll have to go back to an early save and redo it. Do you know if I can re-upload the new model and cancel the old one? Naturally I already paid for it.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59321 is a reply to message #59320 ] Fri, 28 December 2012 19:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Email service and they can cancel the order for you. Then you can upload a new model, and re-order with the new model.

Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59357 is a reply to message #59321 ] Sun, 30 December 2012 03:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I redid the curve entirely using beziers and it came out perfect. I emailed service, asking if they can swap models, haven't heard back but it is the weekend.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59371 is a reply to message #59312 ] Sun, 30 December 2012 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Good deal, BT, curves are a pretty powerful tool in Blender. It should turn out really smooth. Did you use a bevel object along the curve or did you use extrusion?

Service should send you a confirmation Monday. They like the weekends also, lol.

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59386 is a reply to message #59371 ] Sun, 30 December 2012 21:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I used extrusion. Now I'll have to go learn about bevel objects. Sounds like I use a cross sectional shape and pass it through the curve. Yeah I wound up creating 2 beziers, converted them to a mesh, filled the faces and extruded. The uploaded model looks perfectly smooth. Have a look, it is upside down and mirrored -- the design has the letters C and V (my girlfriends initials) inside a heart. It's going to be a necklace printed in silver.
http://www.slogobox.com/beta/www/images/necklace.png

Still really hoping shapeways will swap my models and print the good version.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59387 is a reply to message #59312 ] Sun, 30 December 2012 22:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Looks great!!

Keith
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59388 is a reply to message #59387 ] Sun, 30 December 2012 22:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks, I think it does too.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59408 is a reply to message #59388 ] Mon, 31 December 2012 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Update: Shapeways gave me a full credit for the first order and I reordered the correct model.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59410 is a reply to message #59408 ] Mon, 31 December 2012 17:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Update: Oh how I wish I knew about bevel objects. So much simpler and more professional.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59418 is a reply to message #59410 ] Mon, 31 December 2012 20:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar victorrings  is currently offline victorrings
Go to my shop
FREDD and all-
you do not need to apply any object modifiers. you just need to check the option box in the export function to apply all modifiers. so save yourself and only apply those modifiers only when you have to.
c

my website is online at
http://victorrings.weebly.com/
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59427 is a reply to message #59418 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 00:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That is a really good tip, as you are more and more locked in to the vertices if you Apply. It also means you don't have to save a copy in order to export. Modeling is crazy, there is so much to learn, and I though Photoshop was difficult. Typically (this model included) just after I finish a model I learn a new technique that would have saved hours/days of work.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59428 is a reply to message #59427 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 01:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
just remember-
what you see on the screen is what you are going to get in the stl file. i usually leave the subsurf modifier left on 2 and like 4 or 5 for rendering... when you export to stl it is picking up on what it is set to on the view option not the render option...

this is also a way control polycount. shapeways has a limit on points.

if you want to see what is capable with Blender and Shapeways- check out my website...

http://victorrings.weebly.com/index.html

it is all BLENDER and shapeways...

let me know what you think.

c

my website is online at
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59429 is a reply to message #59428 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 01:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
The website is fantastic, amazing artwork / modeling. Nice clean website design too. Two thumbs up.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59430 is a reply to message #59429 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 02:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
thanks.
i have been working on it for a little while without much feedback so every little bit helps. i am going to try and push it pretty hard in the new year and really up my sales.

the original idea was directed at "team" sales trying to replicate the trophy rings that professional athletes get. but as of yet i haven't had any takers.

c

my website is online at
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59432 is a reply to message #59430 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 03:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Nice, yeah it's a fine line to walk as many pro teams are super vigilant with copyright bs. As for traffic are you doing anything like google ad words? Also you should consider adding the addthis links (addthis.com i think) it has the facebook like,, google+ twitter, buttons etc) it's like 5 lines of javascript. I get a lot of return traffic from social sharing.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59433 is a reply to message #59432 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 03:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Just saw that you have the facebook / twitter links on the blog only.
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59434 is a reply to message #59432 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 03:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
you are right. for the team rings i have used many differnt rings from many different generations as inspiration for the rings that i have created. inspiration is the key word.

unfortunately i dont think that the addthis links are able to be used on the website. i use WEEBLY which is a turn-key solution that have relatively limited customization options. there should be a way to do it but it might take a little digging to do. ill do more investigation but i don't know.

the website has been kinda fun but i don't have all that much time or experience to customize it. in the version before it i created something that was completely custom... it just looked amateurish. so i went back to one of their templates and this is what i came up with.

anyways... good luck with the blendering- if you get lost or stuck- let me know and i will help you out.... there are plenty of blender artist around here that are willing to help out. including
@Fredd
@Youknowwho4eva

and i think

@bartv

my website is online at
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59435 is a reply to message #59434 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 03:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
there should be a facebook/ email link on all of the pages...

i don't have a twitter or pinterest account so they are not on there but i am thinking about adding them...

oh and a linked in link

c

my website is online at
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59436 is a reply to message #59435 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 04:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Cool thanks. I will probably take you up on the blender help.

And as for for the add this stuff, if you can add html to it you should be able to just drop in the js between two script tags. You don't need to have an account on any of the services (twitter e.g.)
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59437 is a reply to message #59312 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 04:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Barty is THE Blender GURU here. I remember the tuts he wrote that got me started.Smile. Andrew Price has nothing on him

Keith
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59438 is a reply to message #59437 ] Tue, 01 January 2013 04:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
i think he does -
http://www.blendernation.com/

if i am not mistaken.

my website is online at
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Seeing fewer polys/vertices in the uploaded render than in my local blender render [message #59486 is a reply to message #59312 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 15:46 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Bart is the residing SW Blender guru. I use Blender when I have to, and if I already have the required skills or can easily google them Razz.

Previous Topic:3d file of the Apple Lightning Connector
Next Topic:Designing a Case for a Samsung Phone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.