Home » Community » Introductions » mechanical engineering student with an artistic left hand
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
mechanical engineering student with an artistic left hand [message #59203] Tue, 25 December 2012 22:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar wearepeople  is currently offline wearepeople
Go to my shop
Hello fellow 3D fanatics!

I'm. Mechanical engineering student in my senior year. I was introduced to 3D printing and fused deposition modeling last semester in a class called Advanced CADCAM. e had a homework assignment where we were to use Solid works to design anything we wanted using less than 2 in^3 of material. I made a geometric shape of two intersecting tetrahedrons covered in a pattern called the flower of life.

This assignment sparked my interest. I was incredibly excited and spent hours upon hours designing my piece in Solidworks. I used the STL file format for the printing which was done on a Zcorp machine.

I love 3D modeling and printing!!!

A good friend of mine showed me shapeways. I love this website and company! Its Amazing!!!

Anyway, I'm interested in printing in the color sandstone. Could you help point me in the direction of figuring out where to start? Which software works best for color? What file format is used for color printing?

From what I understand about the StL file format, color cannot be used. A St file only saves vertices and the facet normal.

any and all help would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,
wearepeople

Re: mechanical engineering student with an artistic left hand [message #59217 is a reply to message #59203 ] Wed, 26 December 2012 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
There are a few ways to print in color. Here is one of our tutorials http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/exporting_to_vrml_and_x3d _for_color_printing

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: mechanical engineering student with an artistic left hand [message #59244 is a reply to message #59217 ] Wed, 26 December 2012 19:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar wearepeople  is currently offline wearepeople
Go to my shop
Sweet!! Thank you!

Previous Topic:Hello
Next Topic:Hello. Looking for advise.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.