Home » Community » Introductions » Excited RPG Game designer here!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Excited RPG Game designer here! [message #55664] Fri, 19 October 2012 18:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar mosadciw  is currently offline mosadciw
Go to all my models
I just stumbled on this place, and as soon as I saw a spaceship model, I suddenly knew I had to start learning how to make some 3D models. I'm owner of SSDC, Inc., an old fashioned RPG company, and one look at the site left me with dancing visions of space ship and robot minis in my head. I'm going to poke around and see what 3D software people recommend. This looks fun!

mike
Re: Excited RPG Game designer here! [message #56669 is a reply to message #55664 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hey mosadciw,

welcome! Whooo, Battle Lords looks like fun! I played RPG games a lot when in university. Let me know if you need any help with creating your ideas!

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Excited RPG Game designer here! [message #56894 is a reply to message #56669 ] Thu, 15 November 2012 15:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mosadciw  is currently offline mosadciw
Go to all my models
Cool! I need to experiment a bit with this stuff first. I think I'm going to try something simple first like a Thomas Train/Brio compatible track segment for my sons set, but then maybe a spaceship or two. We have loads of things we could make, like vehicles; who knows where to start. I can always send you a drawing of some a vehicle if you want to take a stab at something.

Mike
Re: Excited RPG Game designer here! [message #56898 is a reply to message #56894 ] Thu, 15 November 2012 16:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
I'm afraid I don't have a lot of spare time to do any modeling right now but if you ever get stuck, shoot me a message and I'll help you out.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Excited RPG Game designer here! [message #59136 is a reply to message #55664 ] Sun, 23 December 2012 23:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
If you're just learning, Sketchup is super easy and (best of all) free. You can download it here. While Sketchup is great for hard surface models (tanks, planes, buildings, etc) it's not very good for organic or models with a lot of round surfaces. A very easy program for this (also free) is Sculptris. You can get it here.

For more professional tools, you can try Blender, though it's much harder to use and contains a lot of tools that aren't relevant to 3d printing, such as rendering, lighting, animation etc. You can get Blender here.

If you do use Sculptris or Blender (or even if you are using Sketchup) it's a good idea to download netfabb basic to check for errors and resize your model. It can be found here.

You can, of course, use Maya, Max, zBrush, or Autocad. However, if you aren't familiar with these, I would recommend starting with something free until you're comfortable making the purchase (as you're talking $500 - $1000 for a license).

Of the big 4, I would recommend zBrush. It's super easy to make organic and hard surface models (though hard surface takes a bit of technique), uses components similar to sketchup, has customizable brushes, and has a special 3d printing plugin to help with the workflow.

Finally, you can check out my blog for some tricks and tips that I learn, or watch my livestream recordings.

Happy modeling!

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog

Previous Topic:Hello derr
Next Topic:Hello

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.