Home » Community » General Discussion » Wrong Volume after Upload
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59030] Fri, 21 December 2012 16:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar fallenguy  is currently offline fallenguy
Go to my shop
Hi together,

i just uploaded a model with a Volume of 19,52 cm3.
But after the Upload, it says the Volume is 48,53 cm3!!??

Fileoutput is in a STL-File with milimeters scale.

How can i fix this?

Stefan

Sry for my English
Re: Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59031 is a reply to message #59030 ] Fri, 21 December 2012 16:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Can you share the file, or an image? Is you item hollow, but no connection between the inside hole and the outside of the object?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59043 is a reply to message #59031 ] Fri, 21 December 2012 19:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
here is the file

• Attachment: swV2.stl
    (Size: 463.56KB, Downloaded 25 time(s))

Re: Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59046 is a reply to message #59043 ] Fri, 21 December 2012 21:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
If you open the attached file in Netfabb. You will see I have deleted faces so you can see where the problem is. The round holes need to be moved to the outside edge by 1mm. Or depending how you created this, the holes need to go right through from face to face then do a 'boolean subtract'

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59047 is a reply to message #59046 ] Fri, 21 December 2012 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
I was just measuring the wall thickness of your model. The bottom part is very thin, and although you may repair the holes on the top and it uploads OK. It would fail getting printed because the minimum wall thickness is below what it should be in any material.
index.php?t=getfile&id=24662&private=0

• Attachment: errors.png
    (Size: 38.31KB, Downloaded 97 time(s))

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59051 is a reply to message #59047 ] Fri, 21 December 2012 23:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@JACANT: 0.35mm is above the minimum wall thickness for FUD, so this model MAY be allowed to print, but at 20cm3, it's going to be $75 or more.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59070 is a reply to message #59030 ] Sat, 22 December 2012 03:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Well, if you are still wondering about the volume, all normals were oriented properly. The boxes in the legs interior needed a way to remove the material. Also the interior of the axle needed a drain hole from the interior wall to exterior wall. This is what caused the discrepancy between your volume and Shapeways . A model for 3D printers needs just 1 connected surface with normals properly oriented to define where the material is supposed to be. If you created a sphere, with normals pointed outward, and a smaller sphere inside it, with normals pointed inward, the volume will be smaller. But for a print, the outer wall needs to be connected to the inner wall to define the material, not the objects volume

The axle seemed to only be booleaned on one side which can cause open holes., There was something that looked like a screw head on its front that had a face that left a hole on the surface.Besides the disc Jacant mentioned which was not necessary, no reason for a holes there. Model was basically a open ended box with thickness, with a interior axle and 2 legs.

Hope this helps some.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Wrong Volume after Upload [message #59079 is a reply to message #59070 ] Sat, 22 December 2012 15:18 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
thx for the Answers

i fixed the issue thx Very Happy

Previous Topic:Piston tolerances
Next Topic:High detailed Stainless steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.