Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Printing tubes?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing tubes? [message #58831] Tue, 18 December 2012 19:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar Piers  is currently offline Piers
Go to my shop
Recently I designed some flowers posted here

The stems i designed are simple tubes with internal diameter of 2.1mm , wall thickness is 1.1mm. The tube has printed correctly. It appears to have a hole running all the way through (I can drill to the length of the bit , and the material removed was in powder form).

After a few different attempt im still unsuccessful in removing the powder deeper within the tube.

My question is :
What is the minimum internal diameter for not only printing a tube but being able to clear it with ease?

Since SLS parts have a somewhat hydrophobic effect would bathing in something like Isopropanol help loosen the powder more?

Kind regards

Oh i got a new camera, and took this photo ..... shame to waste it Wink

index.php?t=getfile&id=24529&private=0

• Attachment: rose.jpg
    (Size: 128.82KB, Downloaded 224 time(s))

formerly known as pdb
Re: Printing tubes? [message #58835 is a reply to message #58831 ] Tue, 18 December 2012 20:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I like the Shapeways underneath Cool I'd try maybe some compressed air?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Printing tubes? [message #58862 is a reply to message #58831 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 07:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey Micheal
I tried compressed air with no luck.......that said if i had a finer nozzle on the air gun (something similar to a can of compressed air or a WD40), lowered the PSI and tried that way it may work. Will give it a go.

Since i havent figured out the stems I used the Shapeways box to hold the fiber optics in place and block any unwanted light.....worked surprisingly well Rolling Eyes

Thanks

formerly known as pdb
Re: Printing tubes? [message #58890 is a reply to message #58862 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Yea, that's what I would get. A can of compressed air. Maybe try a pipe cleaner? The tiny ones you can find at a craft store or something.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Printing tubes? [message #58899 is a reply to message #58831 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Havent tried them but I assume that if a .5mm wire cant shift the blockage.

I forgot to take them into work today so will test the Isopropanol to see if it can loosen the powder and then try the pipe cleaner idea.

Thanks Micheal

formerly known as pdb
Re: Printing tubes? [message #58921 is a reply to message #58899 ] Thu, 20 December 2012 03:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Some people reported freezing allowed them moving apparently stuck parts. Maybe it works for holes too.
Re: Printing tubes? [message #84843 is a reply to message #58831 ] Thu, 13 February 2014 16:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mfoster3  is currently offline mfoster3
Go to all my models
I have a similar issue with parts that I've designed that have a couple of inches of .020" spaced surfaces that are intended to slide relative to one another. When I received the printed parts they were as if welded together. I soon realized that it was tightly compacted powder between the parts that was preventing them from moving. Compressed air didn't seem to have an affect. I was able to dislodge the powder using thin spring steel wire that I had on hand that is available from McMaster-Carr. I would like to find a better method such as the a fore mentioned freezing to help loosen up the powder as the finished parts will be in a more complex assembly that will be more difficult access. Any addition details about the freezing method would be appreciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 February 2014 17:05 UTC]

a voxel is a three dimensional pixel

Previous Topic:Determining whether walls are supported or unsupported
Next Topic:Which model orient is better for printer?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.