Home » Community » General Discussion » uploaded models don't look like my files
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
uploaded models don't look like my files [message #58893] Wed, 19 December 2012 15:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar susanlsanders  is currently offline susanlsanders
Go to all my models
Hi,
I've had this problem a few times now. I just uploaded a bracelet which is showing up as having the center filled in, which it isn't in my file. I've tried some different tweaks, but with the same result. Ditto with some brooches. The files have an offset in the back, but uploaded the back fills in. How can I fix this?
Thanks.

Re: uploaded models don't look like my files [message #58894 is a reply to message #58893 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 15:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Can you make the item public so we can see where the issue may be? Usually this errors are caused by inverted normals or over lapping faces.

Looking at your file (imported into Blender, exported to obj to open in netfabb) it looks like you have over lapping faces in the ring that goes through all the circles.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2012 15:23 UTC]

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: uploaded models don't look like my files [message #58898 is a reply to message #58893 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
index.php?t=getfile&id=24581&private=0

A Biiig problem is the large ring is not manifold. Look at it. Its' interior top and bottom edges.They are not connected by faces. This is messing up SW's mesh medic. So naturally it will fill the two holes to make it manifold. So you wind up with a disc.

Keith

Opps found the interior rims. It They were just not joined with the rest of the big ring, causing the problem.(Slaps self) But they are seperate too from the big ring causing the wrong fill.. When you mentioned inset, are you trying to hollow it out a bit to lower costs? I assume you are using Sketch up. Will try to recreate in in SU.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2012 19:26 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: uploaded models don't look like my files [message #58905 is a reply to message #58898 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 21:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Fixed in Netfabb.
I did explain once how I did it. Based on the (open faces.obj)
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5780 6&#msg_57806

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2012 21:53 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: uploaded models don't look like my files [message #58906 is a reply to message #58905 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 22:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Yup I remember that nice technique. When he/she mentioned an inset, sounds like Sketchup to me. You can post a Sketchup file here to help us visualize what you are attempting.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:the connection between price and volume is not correct
Next Topic:Hollowed out now it costs 5x more :(