Home » Community » General Discussion » Perfect Ceramic Glazing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Perfect Ceramic Glazing [message #58736] Mon, 17 December 2012 12:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar kspaho  is currently offline kspaho
Go to my shop
Perhaps somethig along these lines could lead to perfect ceramic glazing.

Can you imagine this technologies implications towards designers?

This can potentially make the physical world behave as the digital one.

Link to video

[Updated on: Mon, 17 December 2012 12:47 UTC]

Re: Perfect Ceramic Glazing [message #58738 is a reply to message #58736 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 13:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
The hard part is getting the glazing to stick while all that pesky nitrogen boils off,
but I am sure shapeways is already looking for room-temperature superconductors
to improve their production process. Very Happy
Re: Perfect Ceramic Glazing [message #58837 is a reply to message #58736 ] Tue, 18 December 2012 20:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Same can be done with enough bismuth and a neo magnet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwddgcADSdY, its just a matter of getting the relationships between the two right for the weight involved Cool Rolling Eyes

Paul

Re: Perfect Ceramic Glazing [message #58839 is a reply to message #58837 ] Tue, 18 December 2012 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Yes, but that is no ceramic material, unlike the common high-tc stuff.
With a strong enough magnet, you can even levitate frogs
but who would want to glaze the little guys ? Shocked
Re: Perfect Ceramic Glazing [message #58841 is a reply to message #58839 ] Tue, 18 December 2012 21:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That levitating frogs is really old stuff, iirc done by a university in the Netherlands with a 5T electromagnet... anywhichway something is levitated, the heat needed for glazing ceramics will destroy the levitation. If using magnets they will surpass their curie temperature and become useless lumps of stuff, if at room temperature a superconductor will stop superconducting and I won't mention what would happen to lil froggy Confused

It would be cool though to have a 3D printed model suspended whilst being sprayed with glaze and that model then fired whilst still suspended.

Paul

Previous Topic:Making Untested Materials Available
Next Topic:the connection between price and volume is not correct

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.