Home » Community » General Discussion » Material suitable for fuel/petrol/gasoline - i.e. carb manifold?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material suitable for fuel/petrol/gasoline - i.e. carb manifold? [message #58674] Sun, 16 December 2012 02:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar internetscooter  is currently offline internetscooter
Go to all my models
Hi,

(Note: ignore other duplicates, answer this one - the system told me the posts failed to submit but obviously the had Crying or Very Sad )

I need to make a carb manifold and I am wondering if Alumide or some other material would work. I am concerned about it not being tolerant to the petrol in the air/fuel mixture. I have initial choosen Alumide because the manifold sits on the cyclinder head and would need to withstand ~100C without too much trouble.

Cheers,

Paul

[Updated on: Sun, 16 December 2012 02:59 UTC]

Re: Material suitable for fuel/petrol/gasoline - i.e. carb manifold? [message #58701 is a reply to message #58674 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 00:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
ok - I think I can answer my own question Wink

Aliminide is based on Nylon - googling for "nylon chemical resistance chart" shows that it is unchanged by gasoline and oil.

www.newmantools.com/.../NYLON_chem_resistance_nt.pdf

Let me know if I am wrong.

Paul
Re: Material suitable for fuel/petrol/gasoline - i.e. carb manifold? [message #58704 is a reply to message #58701 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 00:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
But Aluminide, like WSF, is porous....

[Updated on: Mon, 17 December 2012 00:32 UTC]

Bill Bedford
Re: Material suitable for fuel/petrol/gasoline - i.e. carb manifold? [message #58706 is a reply to message #58704 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 00:45 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
BillBedford wrote on Mon, 17 December 2012 00:32

But Aluminide, like WSF, is porous....

thanks you just saved me a lot of wasted effort!

Paul

Previous Topic:I don't think a whole lot of UPS.
Next Topic:Batarang

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.