Home » Community » It arrived! » 3-d Printed Bonsai pot
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3-d Printed Bonsai pot [message #58626] Fri, 14 December 2012 18:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar bluelinegecko  is currently offline bluelinegecko
Go to my shop
I'm sure I'm not even close to the first person to do this. But while I've seen a few 3-D models in the galleries I have yet to see one anyone printed off. Now that Shapeways added more glaze color options I decided to order one. I got this one delivered yesterday. This was a last minute addition to an order I placed right before the "black Friday" sales deadline and was an unfinished model I made some time ago just to get a price quote and didn't put the finishing touches on it. There is some unevenness in the glazing that was likely due to the fact that my model has several sharp edges that weren't radiused and smoothed. I like the eggshell blue color but think that black or green would have been a better choice for this model. Overall I am very happy with how it tuned out though. While the cost is not very economical yet for larger scale pots, it's an option smaller "mame" (small) sized bonsai.

index.php?t=getfile&id=24359&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=24360&private=0

There is some debate over whether a glazed interior pot surface is detrimental to the health of plants. I'm of the school that it is not. I do however plan to make a few changes to the design including sloping the interior floor towards the drain holes to increase drainage, smoothing the edges, and adding some very slight "friction ridges" to the interior sides of the pot to help lock the tree and soil in the pot. I don''t have a tree ready for the pot right now, but I I think I'm going to put a seedling in it and place it outside for the winter to make sure it can withstand the freeze/thaw cycles outside.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 December 2012 18:55 UTC]

Re: 3-d Printed Bonsai pot [message #58715 is a reply to message #58626 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 03:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Amazing and a fantastic idea!!! I can't wait to see it with a Bonsai set up in it.

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: 3-d Printed Bonsai pot [message #58729 is a reply to message #58715 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 10:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sweet! Waiting for pic with bonsai +1! Wink

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: 3-d Printed Bonsai pot [message #93893 is a reply to message #58729 ] Mon, 14 July 2014 09:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well,

It appears my pot didn't fare too well outdoors over the last winter in my experiment. The ceramic material itself survived numerous freezes and thaws, but the glazing on it separated from the pot in several areas.

index.php?t=getfile&id=64929&private=0
This shows the worst of it where several inches separated and came off as a sheet.
index.php?t=getfile&id=64930&private=0
This shows the cracks and the glaze starting to lift in the same area on the opposite side of the pot. The interior surface has developed numerous hairline cracks as well though those areas haven't separated yet.

I can't see this in any way being a defect in the printing/manufacturing process as the glaze looked fine when I first received it. The seperation is also not around any thin spots on the glaze like the corners, but rather started right in the middle of very solidly glazed areas. Shapeways lists this material as heat resistant, but i'm not sure if anyone has tested it out for freeze/thaw tolerance before. I still think this material can make a good small bonsai pot, but after my experiment I would recommend it only for indoor use on tropical species. I just wanted to share this information for anyone else who might be planning on using this material for cups, dishes, ice trays, etc that might see use in the freezer.

On the bright side I was inspired to take my original idea and go in a slightly different direction

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=19953& amp;start=0&

Re: 3-d Printed Bonsai pot [message #95357 is a reply to message #58626 ] Tue, 05 August 2014 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Good to know about the freeze/thaw problems... I made a Bonsai pot for a client a while ago, too:

index.php?t=getfile&id=67159&private=0

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: 3-d Printed Bonsai pot [message #95359 is a reply to message #95357 ] Tue, 05 August 2014 13:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I like the design, but did you leave forget the drainage hole or was your client using it for something else? My issue with the freeze/thaw might be an isolated case. Haven't heard any feedback either way from anyone else on how well the ceramic material handles the cold.
Re: 3-d Printed Bonsai pot [message #95411 is a reply to message #95359 ] Wed, 06 August 2014 00:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nope, made exactly to his specifications, but now you made me think that as I recall he was actually "making" Bonsai's out of silver strands, so not quite the same thing!!

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:KevK Pendants first arrivals
Next Topic:MOVE FORWARD / mens jewelry collection

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.