Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Lotion bottle?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Lotion bottle? [message #58562] Thu, 13 December 2012 16:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar dilettante  is currently offline dilettante
Go to all my models
I'd love to be able to print a bottle to hold lotions.

Is it possible to print a bottle out of SFP and coat it to make it watertight and "reasonable" foodsafe?

Or using either Fine Detail Plastic and Frosted Detail Plastic?
Re: Lotion bottle? [message #58564 is a reply to message #58562 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Check the thread here:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=11960& amp;start=0&

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Lotion bottle? [message #58567 is a reply to message #58564 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
What stonysmith just wrote. Also, the nylon material will probably be stiffer than the typical
blow-molded polyethylene bottles (assuming you want the squeeze-bottle type) and the
detail materials too brittle. If you aim for the dispenser-type instead, ceramics would be a
natural choice (with the plastic pump mechanism bought elsewhere or cannibalized from
some other lotion bottle)
Re: Lotion bottle? [message #58583 is a reply to message #58567 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 22:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dilettante  is currently offline dilettante
Go to all my models
Thanks for the replies.

From what I read, Strong and Flexible, although not as flexible as normal bottles, should still be flexible enough, and would probably not be a problem to hold lotions (no alcohol, no risk of microbial growth, no need for cleaning).

So the last remaining question would be... is there a way to make it watertight, some kind of sealant maybe?

Previous Topic:3d printing how to explain it?
Next Topic:Creating a Print - Someone's already done it!