Home » Community » General Discussion » Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues. [message #58579] Thu, 13 December 2012 20:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar zardoz337  is currently offline zardoz337
Go to all my models
Rolling Eyes Hello everyone,
I am new to all this and am trying to print the parts for split flaps for my FMS spitfire radio control airplane. There are actually 7 separate parts (3 which must be "mirrored" for LH and RH sides of the wing. These parts were designed and originally printed in STL format by a very talented modeler and cad designer who used them to spectacular results on his FMS modded Spitfire ( he has access to a 3-D printer through his job). He was kind enough to e-mail me the STL files so I could upload them and print them to Shapeways! My problem is they did not scale correctly and were too small to print! (I had selected mm to scale) I tried editing to inches but alas, still too small. I am hopeful this is just a ratio issue because these flaps are scale to the original (and brought down to approx. 1/8) and then modded for R/C control hook-ups and hinges. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get them to scale correctly would be greatly appreciated. (I have downloaded Blender and have even learned how to import the STL files! The rest I am working on..but alas I am a slow learner) Shocked
Thank you all,
Lee

P.S. here is an example of one of the parts:

Re: Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues. [message #58582 is a reply to message #58579 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
The dimensions in Blender units were 9.871 x 1.550 x .572. You can see in in the property panel(N key) in object mode. I am guessing you are needing the print dimensions 9.871cm x 1.550cm x .572cm. Scale the model by 10, apply scale(Ctrl a),save as stl. When you upload now select mm. Model's print size will be 9.871cm x 1.550cm x .572cm.
Scaling the model increased the blender unit's dimensions to 98.71 x 15.50 5.72. which when you upload as mm works.

Keith

By the way its nice to see another Blenderhead here.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues. [message #58603 is a reply to message #58582 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 09:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Fredd wrote on Thu, 13 December 2012 21:52

By the way its nice to see another Blenderhead here.

Indeed! A number of Shapeways team members have a Blender background, too (we used to work for Not a Number). And in fact I run BlenderNation as well Wink

Cheers!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues. [message #58623 is a reply to message #58582 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 18:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you so much Keith!
I'm not really a blenderhead yet, but I am a wannabe! My cad experience is very limited and even more than dated. I am very excited to see all the advancements in cad features and star trek replicators! I will attempt your suggestion and try to upload again.
Cheers! Very Happy
Lee
Re: Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues. [message #58630 is a reply to message #58582 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
OK..I did some rough measurements and it appears that my scaling issue is from using metric and in reality they should be in inches. The part appears to be much closer to 9-3/4" rather than 9-3/4 centimeters! Shocked I will attempt to upload them in inches....thank you! Rolling Eyes
Lee
Re: Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues. [message #58668 is a reply to message #58630 ] Sat, 15 December 2012 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
One goody I left out. Under scene tab/unit you can view the measurements in inches(Imperial. Click imperial, enter .0254 in the scale box. by swapping between the None, Metric, and Imperial, can view the dimensions in differring units. Upload as a dae, you do not have to set unit size at SW as you would a stl. 1 problem is that when you export, .dae has to be at the end of the file name you enter.

Your model needs to be uploaded as a stl though. It has several things needing boolean union performed on by SW mesh medic. So if you a finished looking at the scene data measurements. Export it a a stl(upload at inches) Not as mm as stupid me thought. 9cm sure is sorta small for a rc part. Rolling Eyes

Glad its working.

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Hello! Newbie with some scaling issues. [message #58751 is a reply to message #58668 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 16:58 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Keith,
Thank you for the information, it seems to be all good now. You have all been a great help! I really enjoy working with blender and learn new stuff all the time!
Lee Very Happy

Previous Topic:Longcat designs
Next Topic:Silver orders won't be ready for 24th?