Home » Community » General Discussion » Problem uploading file
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problem uploading file [message #58218] Sat, 08 December 2012 03:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar Jermm  is currently offline Jermm
Go to my shop
Hello, I am new to shapeways and have been working on my first project. A ring, for a really good friend of mine with inscriptions.

since it is a ring I need to file to be printed just as I created it in CAD, or it wont fit, however when I do this, the dimensions are not accurate and the ring is either too large or too small. What am I doing wrong here? It is a .stl file exported from Autodesk Inventor.

I tried meters, inches, and (mm? whatever the third option was) but none are correct.

thanks you Smile

I will attach the file if it helps..

Re: Problem uploading file [message #58220 is a reply to message #58218 ] Sat, 08 December 2012 04:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Okaaysy, what inner radius do you need for the ring(Ring size?) Post it, you are set

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Problem uploading file [message #58221 is a reply to message #58218 ] Sat, 08 December 2012 04:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Your cad program is reporting the units as inches, but it's getting uploaded as millimeters.
Grab a copy of Netfabb Basic and scale your model up by 25.4 then upload it as millimeters.

But.. be warned. You've got the engraved lettering at a depth of +2mm with an average width of only 0.3mm Are you wanting to have this done in Sliver?

From the Silver materials page: The width of a detail must be the same or greater than how far it sinks in from the surface.

Use a bolder font and/or don't sink the letters so deep into the ring.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Problem uploading file [message #58227 is a reply to message #58220 ] Sat, 08 December 2012 05:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ring size 7, 8.65 mm inside radius.

ps: I updated file so use that.

thank you!

Re: Problem uploading file [message #58251 is a reply to message #58218 ] Sat, 08 December 2012 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
well, its dimensions were 2.33 x .508 x 2.33. If you export as a stl, scale it by 10, set at upload at SW to mm. SW will get dimensions of 23.3mm x 5.08mm x 23.3mm. Same as CM 2.33 x .508 x 2.33.
I used scene data to check the original, inner radius matched.
If your program supports dae export, all you would have to do is set units to cm, export as a dae. No scaling needed then, since SW recognizes scene data for .dae files, and do not have to set upload measurements.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Problem uploading file [message #58276 is a reply to message #58227 ] Sun, 09 December 2012 07:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Scaled up by 10 and treated as mm, the ring in the latest stl file has an ID of 17.3mm.

Scaled file attached.
Paul

Re: Problem uploading file [message #58292 is a reply to message #58276 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 01:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
For an experiment, what material volume did you get Paul. I wound up with .87cm cubed

Keith
Re: Problem uploading file [message #58297 is a reply to message #58218 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 04:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you everyone for the help! I was actually able to figure it out myself! (incorrectly though... oops) I scaled it down to get .514 instead of .505 by accident Sad I also ordered it when I did that! luckily it wasn't a big difference. I am very new to this stuff haha.
Re: Problem uploading file [message #58320 is a reply to message #58292 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 11:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Fredd wrote on Mon, 10 December 2012 01:34

For an experiment, what material volume did you get Paul. I wound up with .87cm cubed

NetFabb gives 0.90cc at 10x scale.

Paul

Previous Topic:Searching for downloadable models
Next Topic:Shapeways Disclaimer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.