Home » Support » 3D Design » Intersection of materials accepted?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Intersection of materials accepted? [message #58150] Fri, 07 December 2012 09:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar keesvos  is currently offline keesvos
Go to all my models
Hello all,

I'm working on a scaled model of a car we build. The drawing is made in Solidworks, all parts fitted together in a assembly.
As I have the drawing now, the chassis beams run through the body material
Attached a screenshot of the front wheel with the chassis and the body. As you can see the tube runs trough the body. On this intersection there is 2x material. (what in real life wouldn't be possible)

My question, is it possible to upload this file and would it be printed normally?

Re: Intersection of materials accepted? [message #58153 is a reply to message #58150 ] Fri, 07 December 2012 09:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, our Mesh Medic software will merge those volumes into one for you:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/398-mesh-medic-automa tic-3d-printing-file-repair.html

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Intersection of materials accepted? [message #58154 is a reply to message #58150 ] Fri, 07 December 2012 09:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Mesh Medic software will boolean all of the intersecting parts into one mesh on upload, so there's no double volume to worry about. If your model has some very small meshes it is possible that Mesh Medic will see those meshes as 'ghost' meshes and remove them (more info). An alternative is to use Net Fabb Cloud Service for boolean joining and error checking before uploading to Shapeways.

Paul

icon14.gif  Re: Intersection of materials accepted? [message #58157 is a reply to message #58154 ] Fri, 07 December 2012 09:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar keesvos  is currently offline keesvos
Go to all my models
Great! Then I'll finalize my model en run it through the software and upload it. Thanks for the fast help!

Previous Topic:"We don't cast pins"?
Next Topic:text is not placed/rotated correctly

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.