Home » Community » General Discussion » Colour sandstone and durability and temperature query
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Colour sandstone and durability and temperature query [message #58103] Thu, 06 December 2012 14:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Psychobob  is currently offline Psychobob
Go to my shop
Greetings Shapeways community!

I'm thinking about a project that I would want to print in full colour sandstone, but I have no real experience with this material. I read on the material page the maximum temperature shouldn't exceed 60 degrees Celsius.

In your experience is this correct?
What happens if you go over it? Does it get soft/deform or break apart in chunks?
Does the ink transfer when it gets too hot?

My understanding is also that the ink is only a few millimetres deep so potentially chipping and sanding the piece can remove the colour from the piece. Has anyone tried coating it in anything to protect it?

Thanks!

Check out my blog on my 3D print projects:
http://www.psychobob.co.uk

And here's my Shapeways shop!
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/PsychobobArts
Re: Colour sandstone and durability and temperature query [message #58105 is a reply to message #58103 ] Thu, 06 December 2012 14:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It's coated with a super glue like material when it arrives to you. I had a piece that came out slightly too large, and I took my dremel to it. So to answer your sanding question, I gave up on trying to get a tiny amount of material off. And I think the 60 degrees is for the super glue coating, as it'll burn. Once the coating is gone, the pieces become very fragile.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Colour sandstone and durability and temperature query [message #58108 is a reply to message #58105 ] Thu, 06 December 2012 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Psychobob  is currently offline Psychobob
Go to my shop
Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I was thinking about this was I wanted to make a custom coffee coaster for someone and wasn't sure how it would react to a hot cup. I know ceramics are available which I would love to use, but one of the coaster parts would need to be red for it to match the idea and Shapeways doesn't offer red ceramic yet Sad

Appreciate the info, it didn't really click that it was because of the super glue binding. I was just worried about it's durability (hence the coating question) as it would be having a hot cup put on it all the time and wouldn't last long in terms of durability or the ink would transfer to the cup or it would stick the cup to the coaster!

Check out my blog on my 3D print projects:
http://www.psychobob.co.uk

And here's my Shapeways shop!
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/PsychobobArts
Re: Colour sandstone and durability and temperature query [message #58111 is a reply to message #58103 ] Thu, 06 December 2012 15:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I know sandstone has been used for coasters, but I can't say they would hold up to the heat of a hot beverage cup as I haven't tried it. You could do it in dyed WSF Which can handle an additional 20 degrees (80 degree listed) It's available in red, and you can check out the post production section for painting and finishing tips. It's also possible to add glaze to ceramics after you receive it (over the existing glaze).

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:NYC local pickup?
Next Topic:Which Software Package???

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.