Home » Community » General Discussion » Anyone tried carbon fiber nylon SLS?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Anyone tried carbon fiber nylon SLS? [message #57573] Tue, 27 November 2012 23:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
I see that SolidConcepts has their PA 640-GSL, Nylon 12 with Carbon Fiber, and EOS has their Carbonmide PA12-CF.
https://www.solidconcepts.com/materials/sls-materials/
http://eos.materialdatacenter.com/eo/standard/main/ds/181966

Has anyone tried SLS with these materials?
I'm interested in it's strength compared to plain PA 12. But according to the data sheet, the Z-axis tensil strength for the carbon fiber nylon is almost half of plain PA12. Is this the strength against a force perpendicular or parallel to the Z-axis? Is this a really big problem?

Does anyone know of a printer in Europe that would offer SLS with the carbon fiber nylon? I wonder how much more it would cost to use carbon fiber compared to plain PA.

If the carbon fiber actually performs better than plain PA, it might be a good selling point to use for finished products.
Re: Anyone tried carbon fiber nylon SLS? [message #57972 is a reply to message #57573 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 19:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Tamert  is currently offline Tamert
Go to all my models
I routinely use fiber reinforced SLS materials for my printed parts, both carbon and glass fibers. If you've never worked with a fiber reinforced composite material I recommend that you spend a lot of time investigating them. You need to understand how fiber reinforcement alters all of the mechanical properties of the material. If you just naively use a fiber reinforced material I think you will be disappointed with the result.

Previous Topic:Integrated 3D printed electronics a step closer
Next Topic:My first attempt

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.