Home » Community » Feature this!  » The Gift of Music - Ring Flute
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The Gift of Music - Ring Flute [message #57529] Tue, 27 November 2012 02:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar RingFlute  is currently offline RingFlute
Go to my shop
Shapeways and 3D printing allowed me to solve ALL of my most difficult design dilemmas. Moving away from 2 bonded pieces, to a single printed instrument.

index.php?t=getfile&id=23378&private=0

The idea for a circular flute came from some of my travels. On the other side of the world, in Yangshuo China, I was mesmerized by a Cantonese street performer (a very gifted bamboo flute player). Over a two-week period, I sat on the street corner for hours a day listening to him play. On my last day in the area, I tried describing a South American Ocarina flute to him using only hand gestures (I cannot speak Cantonese). The ocarina's hollow football shape was not easy to describe. However, I found a piece of garden hose littered in the street that maybe could assist me. I placed the ends together, end-to-end. That was not really the shape I had intended and more than anything I think that I just really confused him. So, I walked away nodding my head, wondering what he thought this dumb foreigner might be trying to do with a piece of garden hose.

Over the next few days on Transiberian train, I had plenty of time to think and the garden hose shape kept popping up in my daydreams. I began to wonder... what if? Could it work? ...........Maybe?

Material Details: egg shell blue ceramic
Acoustics: great tone with a haunting hollow sound - I will get a sound clip recorded asap.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/RingFlute

• Attachment: RF-BLUE2.jpg
    (Size: 215.21KB, Downloaded 135 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 27 November 2012 02:41 UTC]

RingFlute
Re: The Gift of Music - Ring Flute [message #57569 is a reply to message #57529 ] Tue, 27 November 2012 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Wow!

Can't wait to hear the audio.

Re: The Gift of Music - Ring Flute [message #57586 is a reply to message #57569 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 04:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
STOP4STUFF ................Thanks for the kind words.

I have the audio, but still trying to figure out how to add it to my shop?

Thanks again,

RingFlute

• Attachment: BestFlute.mp3
    (Size: 301.53KB, Downloaded 39 time(s))

RingFlute
Re: The Gift of Music - Ring Flute [message #57591 is a reply to message #57586 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 07:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The flute sounds great!

You could make a video with a slideshow of images of the flute accompanied by the sound playing for uploading to YouTube, then add the video to the model page.

Paul
Re: The Gift of Music - Ring Flute [message #57642 is a reply to message #57569 ] Thu, 29 November 2012 02:26 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
re: video slideshow w/sound and upload to YOUTUBE.

Hi Paul, great suggestion. I might need my daughter to help me with that one. Thanks for suggestion,

James

RingFlute

Previous Topic:Speedlite 430EX II Focus Cover
Next Topic:Algorithmic Full Color Shells and Christmas Ornaments