Home » Community » General Discussion » Newbie painting and finishing questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Newbie painting and finishing questions [message #57528] Tue, 27 November 2012 01:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar mburkey  is currently offline mburkey
Go to all my models
What are the good/better/best materials for sci fi miniatures for someone looking for injection-molded quality and finish?

Yes, I read the tutorials on materials and on painting W/S/F.

I ordered a couple of models last summer. One was white/strong/flex/polished and the other was frosted ultradetail. Neither was perfectly flawless or smooth, but I went over both with steel wool and they look pretty darn good and smooth under a coat of paint. BTW, that was Floquil enamel paint sprayed through an airbrush, not the recommended acrylics.

With that experience, I ordered 5 more in W/S/F. They're marvelous little pieces. But they're all kind of dusty from the material, moreso than I recall. I'm wondering if I they will continue to lose material until I paint them? Should I just paint, dust and all? Should I wash and paint? Should I sand, wash and paint? Anyone have experience with multiple methods?

Thanks.
Re: Newbie painting and finishing questions [message #57560 is a reply to message #57528 ] Tue, 27 November 2012 17:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Did you order in polished again? There shouldn't be loose powder either way, but you will have more signs of printing on non-polished models. The model should be fused, so brushing loose powder shouldn't desolve your model away. I'd email service about the powder though, as customers shouldn't be getting that.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Free shipping today
Next Topic:Not sure what material to use...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.