Home » Support » Buying » Model Orientation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model Orientation [message #57446] Sun, 25 November 2012 19:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar duckandflea  is currently offline duckandflea
Go to my shop
Hi,

I've just uploaded my first model and the thumbnail shows it on it's side. I feel the model has an obvious base so how can I be sure it will use this base when the part is made? Is the thumbnail any indication of the orientation used when printed?

Thanks
Re: Model Orientation [message #57449 is a reply to message #57446 ] Sun, 25 November 2012 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Model orientation in the thumbnail has no connection to print orientation - for the former, ensure Z axis is pointing up
in whatever software you use, or use the free version of netfabb studio basic to reorient your model before uploading.
Print orientation is currently decided by the shapeways crew based on a combination of past experience and printer
utilization (models are not printed individually, but in carefully stacked batches - also the layered printing process may
produce visible stair-stepping on some face of the model, so the model may be reoriented so that its "obvious" base
is taking the brunt of that).
Re: Model Orientation [message #57453 is a reply to message #57449 ] Sun, 25 November 2012 20:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar duckandflea  is currently offline duckandflea
Go to my shop
That's great thanks. I had a feeling that would be the case but I just wanted to double checking before ordering!

Thanks again.

Previous Topic:Wow ! Thanks shapeways
Next Topic:Unable to use Black Friday Special discount

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.