Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Cleaning slime crystals of FUD?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Cleaning slime crystals of FUD? [message #57135] Tue, 20 November 2012 06:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar JoaquinGonzalez  is currently offline JoaquinGonzalez
Go to all my models
Just got my first printed parts that I designed back. I had them printed in FUD. They are wheels and disc brake for 1/25 scale model cars. What is the best way to remove the slime that is on the parts? Also there are some crystals on the inside of the spokes how do I remove that?

Here is a pic.

index.php?t=getfile&id=23036&private=0

• Attachment: tt3.JPG
    (Size: 152.19KB, Downloaded 202 time(s))

Re: Cleaning slime crystals of FUD? [message #57207 is a reply to message #57135 ] Tue, 20 November 2012 22:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
The 'FUD wax removal' thread covers several ways to remove the slimy support material residue:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=5 438&goto=38272#msg_38272

I heat FUD parts on top of a gas fireplace to melt most of the wax away; a hairdryer works, too. Then I submerge them in pure acetone (cheap nail polish remover) for 10 to 20 minutes to get rid of the rest.

The crystals may just be tiny dribbles of FUD left on the part as the print nozzle shuts off. you can easily scrape them off with a hobby knife.

Previous Topic:Sandstone seamless assembly?
Next Topic:Dissolve powder material

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.