Home » Community » General Discussion » Do you use a 3d scanner?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Do you use a 3d scanner? [message #57128] Mon, 19 November 2012 23:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar JKerstetter  is currently offline JKerstetter
Go to all my models
Hey all,

Does anyone use a 3d scanner to aid in designing? I'm looking to maybe get a Kinect, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks!
Re: Do you use a 3d scanner? [message #57156 is a reply to message #57128 ] Tue, 20 November 2012 15:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
A kinect is one way to do it if you have the know how (which is out there on the web) Another way is 123D Catch.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Do you use a 3d scanner? [message #57245 is a reply to message #57128 ] Wed, 21 November 2012 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ThreeForm  is currently offline ThreeForm
Go to my shop
I use scanned data as a base for my wearable designs. Right now I use an industrial white-light scanner, but before that I used a Kinect and photogrammetry (like 123D Catch) for several designs. The reason I had to upgrade, other than the noisy data, is the fact that neither of these techniques produces designs at an accurate scale. I need accurate scans to ensure that the design will fit properly. By taking many measurements and re-scaling the output from Kinect/Catch it is possible to correct the scale, but they are still only accurate to about 1cm at best. Using an inexpensive scanner like Next Engine will take that down to a couple of millimeters, but it is very sensetive to variations in color/texture or movement.

Catch and Kinect work best with larger objects that are then scaled down so that the lack of detail doesn't matter.

www.facebook.com/pages/ThreeForm/114001098701667
Re: Do you use a 3d scanner? [message #57506 is a reply to message #57128 ] Mon, 26 November 2012 18:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
As I have used a nextengine, I can offer the following.
It is very sensitive to ambient lighting conditions.
It is also very sensitive to the object to be scanned color. Dark colors are tough.
Even on its lowest resolution it produces very large poly counts.
It is pretty accurate, on it's lowest resolution it was within .5mm.
YMMV

bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time

Previous Topic:SHAPEWAYS order issue
Next Topic:Free shipping today

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.