Home » Community » General Discussion » How Do I Upload to Full Color Sandstone?
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How Do I Upload to Full Color Sandstone? [message #56966] Fri, 16 November 2012 19:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar TheMazinTar  is currently offline TheMazinTar
Go to all my models
Hi, guys, I'm new; it's nice to be here!
Anyways, I have a model I'd like to 3D print, and I want its texture to be printed as well, but I can't figure out how to upload a model to Full Color Sandstone. I modeled it in Blender, so, for all those Blender Shapeways users out there, what do I export my model to/how do I upload it to Full Color Sandstone?
Thanks a lot!
Re: How Do I Upload to Full Color Sandstone? [message #56981 is a reply to message #56966 ] Sat, 17 November 2012 00:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Hello fellow Blenderhead. x3D is your friend as the export.
1. For a model, vertex paint,material diffuse colors, and properly applied textures to UV maps are how you can apply colors to full color sandstone.
2. Proper texture application involves unwrapping, assigning the unwrapped meshes material the texture you want, set mapping to UV, not generated.
3. We will use the default 2 x 2 x 2 cube for this example. The model needs to be scaled, since SW regards any basic measurement unit as 1 meter. So in scene, select unit as meter.Actually once done this is now the length blender regards its basic unit measurement. Turn on edge length in N panel to see proof.
Now, while in object mode, set the dimensions you want in the N panel. The bounding box dimensions should be in meters. For a meter 2 x 2 x 2 cube, change each value to 2cm (This is if you want the printed object in centimeters. You will see the model scale down.) .Apply scale in object mode(ctrl a). In the Scene settings if you click on None, you will see .02 in the xyz dimensions. Remember this, it is the reason you have the three options when you upload to SW's , mm, inch and meter.
When you select Meter at upload time, your models dimensions will be printed at .02 meters, or 2 cm.
4.So its been scaled , maps and materials are good. Select your model, Under File/Import choose x3D. Do not change the export settings. Once done, select all the texture files involved plus your new x3D file. Once they are selected, zip them into a file. DO NOT ZIP a folder containing the unzipped files.
5. At SW's,select upload models, browse to the zipped file, select Meter as basic unit length,upload.
Now all you have to deal with is problems with material specs, and the horror message, "You model needs more love".

P.S. It does help placing your texture files and export into 1 folder. Makes them easier to find, just never zip that folder.

Keith

PSS Thanks to the great font of knowledge the Shapies here have showed here for this post

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: How Do I Upload to Full Color Sandstone? [message #57091 is a reply to message #56966 ] Mon, 19 November 2012 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I thought something existed on this, but no luck finding it. But, Bart says a high end tutorial is in the works in the Blender Community.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: How Do I Upload to Full Color Sandstone? [message #57616 is a reply to message #56981 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 16:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TheMazinTar  is currently offline TheMazinTar
Go to all my models
Okay, this really, really helps, but I don't think I'm properly putting a texture on my model. When, in Blender, not Shapeways, I change the viewing type to Textured, it looks great, but when I render it it doesn't render the texture. What I did was I UV unwrapped my model, I uploaded my texture, and I alligned the texture to the vertices! What else am I supposed to do?
Re: How Do I Upload to Full Color Sandstone? [message #57620 is a reply to message #57616 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/exporting_to_vrml_and_x3d _for_color_printing

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: How Do I Upload to Full Color Sandstone? [message #57634 is a reply to message #57616 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 23:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Okeys, you assigned a material,then uv unwrapped the model. In the uv image editor you opened up the texture file that you wanted. If the uv texture does not show in the render you left out an important step. Go to textures, open the same file you did earlier. Set mapping to clip. Here is an blend file, bringing you 1 step closer. The other things you did do not actually save the image properly, just allows you to visualize it in the viewport, which is ok, but printers frown on it.Smile

Keith

PS the plane is not manifold, lol

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Printing Roulette
Next Topic:Could you advice me for building 6mm minis?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.