Home » Community » Introductions » Hello Everybody!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hello Everybody! [message #56744] Tue, 13 November 2012 01:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar gabeLamas  is currently offline gabeLamas
Go to all my models
Hi All,

I'm new here, of course, and heard this site did 3D prints, so as a CG Artist I thought I'd give this site a try.

My name is Gabriel Lamas, and I am from Houston, TX (born and raised). I plan on using my skills as a 3D artist to print out my work. I'm now working with Maya for my modeling, though I will occasionally go back to using 3Ds max, and I'm going to have a necklace printed (modeled after the TARDIS!). So far I have a good 3 years of studying Computer Graphics in school, so my experience in a professional perspective is a bit lacking.

I look forward to sharing advice and gaining helpful insight from you all,

With regards,

Re: Hello Everybody! [message #56766 is a reply to message #56744 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 09:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Gabriel,

Welcome and good luck with you first model/print Smile
Skills tend to grow quickly once people get into 3d printing Wink
If you have any questions.. well you found the forum, so you know where to find us Smile

Cheers!

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Hello Everybody! [message #56827 is a reply to message #56766 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you Stijn,

Thank you for your support. Come to think of it I do have a question. I would like to ask you if the alumide that Shapeways works with is sandable, solderable, etc? According to a teacher of mine it's best for me to do test prints of this TARDIS necklace to see if I need to make any adjustments to the model or the print itself. What I want is for the "final" piece to be in silver, and since this is my first time working with 3D printing he suggests I do this process so that I can save up on money. I'm also doing my part in having the insides already empty, but I want to make sure I get this model "right" without spending more money than I have to. That's really the gist of what I want to do for my first print.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 November 2012 14:32 UTC]

Re: Hello Everybody! [message #56855 is a reply to message #56827 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 20:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kimotion  is currently offline Kimotion
Go to my shop
hello and Welcome! I am also new to the group. It's good to see a fellow Maya user! I am an animator but starting to get back into modeling after seeing how limitless it can be.
Re: Hello Everybody! [message #56856 is a reply to message #56855 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello there Kimotion,

It IS good to see a fellow Maya user, though I took a class over the summer so I could learn about the modeling tools. I say the tools really do compliment my own personal approach to modeling, and yeah, with 3D printing it DOES feel limitless. And that's a mighty coincidence, I have been wanting to improve upon my animation skills, so it's good to get to meet an animator around here.
Re: Hello Everybody! [message #56864 is a reply to message #56827 ] Thu, 15 November 2012 03:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
gabeLamas wrote on Wed, 14 November 2012 14:28

is the alumide that Shapeways works with is sandable, solderable, etc?

Alumide is sandable.. it is NOT solderable.

Alumide is an admixture of aluminum and nylon powders. The nylon is melted by a laser and very effectively forms a glue between the aluminum particles, but the aluminum particles do not (necessarily) touch each other. Alumide is therefore non-conductive and it is NOT in any way similar to solid aluminum.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Hello Everybody! [message #56932 is a reply to message #56864 ] Thu, 15 November 2012 23:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you, stonysmith! Your advice is definitely informative and will help me in preparing me for making my prototype prints.

-Gabe
Re: Hello Everybody! [message #56986 is a reply to message #56932 ] Sat, 17 November 2012 03:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jewellgreens  is currently offline Jewellgreens
Go to all my models
Hi,

Saving my messages to some topics but this is the first thing to do, introducing myself on the "jewelry" world and on this website.
Jewellgreens

url=http://www.diamondgallerysd.com/]15% off on all jewelry repairs[/url]

Previous Topic:Greetings from Canada
Next Topic:not NEW but REDESIGNED

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.