Home » Community » General Discussion » Starcraft Models
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Starcraft Models [message #56751] Tue, 13 November 2012 02:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar Robotdude  is currently offline Robotdude
Go to all my models
I wanted some models from Starcraft on my desk, so i uploaded the files from the game and am going to print them out. I was just wondering does anyone else really care about this, because I think its pretty cool. If people actually care, I will make the models buyable for others. Very Happy
Anyways if anyone wants a specific unit/building, I can try and upload it.
Heres one of the things I put up:
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56761 is a reply to message #56751 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 06:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Brick  is currently offline Brick
Go to my shop
did you model those yourself, or somehow pull them out of the game files? If you pulled them out, I wouldn't mind knowing the process, and if it could be done with their other games. i.e. WoW.
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56768 is a reply to message #56761 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 11:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So what I did was use this MPQ editor (<a href="http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html" target="_blank"></a>) to extract the texture file (.dds) and the 3d model file (.m3).
I then used this viewer to convert them to printable .obj :[url]http://code.google.com/p/oneclick-code/[url]
and then uploaded to shapeways. Unfortunately I have no idea how to apply the texture files, so yeah.
And yeah it might be able to be done with wow as it uses similar formats.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 November 2012 11:29 UTC]

Re: Starcraft Models [message #56784 is a reply to message #56768 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 16:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Brick  is currently offline Brick
Go to my shop
great, thx for the info.
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56819 is a reply to message #56751 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 09:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Selling Warcraft models is most likely a violation of their copyright and could get you into trouble..

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56859 is a reply to message #56819 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 22:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Maethius  is currently offline Maethius
Go to all my models
The meshes and texture data for Warcraft models is intellectual property owned by Blizzard... yep, it's illegal to use them without permission and you can't distribute them in any form, digital or physical. Sorry.
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56860 is a reply to message #56859 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 23:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well I guess I'm not selling them. I hope I can still buy my models for myself though.
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56912 is a reply to message #56751 ] Thu, 15 November 2012 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Piers  is currently offline Piers
Go to my shop
Id be interested to see them, if u do get them printed.

Piers

formerly known as pdb
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56934 is a reply to message #56912 ] Fri, 16 November 2012 01:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
I would like to see the Terran cruiser for sure.Smile

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Starcraft Models [message #56937 is a reply to message #56934 ] Fri, 16 November 2012 03:23 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I would too (thats my favorite unit) but unfortunately the model shows up really funny, and it would be very expensive Confused Sad .

Previous Topic:Getting a Gloss Finish
Next Topic:Mesh software kickstarter

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.