Home » Support » 3D Printing » Rounded/Polished Side?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56060] Sat, 27 October 2012 20:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar N8N1  is currently offline N8N1
Go to all my models
Hello, I recently printed myself a necklace type medallion, but the back side of the emblem is rounded to a soft edge while the front is not. I printed this in the strong white and flexible as a prototype. But before I print my final (In Shiney Silver) I would like to take care of this problem. Any idea on how to specify which side should be considered the front so it can have smoother edges than the back?? If any question is needed feel free to look at my project in My Models.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 October 2012 20:43 UTC]

N8N
Re: Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56066 is a reply to message #56060 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
The model looked fine to me. Are you talking about the faceting along the edge of the 8?

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56076 is a reply to message #56066 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 00:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yes, the model itself looks fine...but when the object was printed, on one of the sides, the edges of everything including the letters N and 8 are somewhat beveled to a round curve while the front remains sharp--or edgy.

N8N
Re: Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56519 is a reply to message #56076 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 22:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Does anyone understand my problem or know how to fix it???

N8N
Re: Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56722 is a reply to message #56060 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 20:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The silver uses a completely different printer and process. It uses a very high detail wax printer, then lost wax cast into silver. So any variations you see in your WSF print will likely not show up in your silver print. But, silver does have it's own variations. Especially if you order in polished, you will lose crispness.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56737 is a reply to message #56722 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 23:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Alright, Thank you. I just wasn't quite sure if my product has a fault in it or not.

N8N
Re: Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56788 is a reply to message #56060 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 16:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Without the file, I can't tell if your file is at fault.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Rounded/Polished Side? [message #56802 is a reply to message #56788 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 23:14 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
My file is in My Models if you would like to look at it. If not, I would be able to send you the file and you could look at it for me.

N8N

Previous Topic:Printing Grandpa is giving issues
Next Topic:moving parts

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.