Home » Community » General Discussion » James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56793] Tue, 13 November 2012 19:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The production team behind the latest James Bond movie, "Skyfall" included 1/3 models of our hero's precious Aston Martin DB5. And, guess what, they used a 3D printer from Voxeljet to make them. And what a printer! Read the article to have a look at the printer, but here is a shot of one of the superb models.

index.php?t=getfile&id=22698&private=0

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56797 is a reply to message #56793 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Whoa COOL!

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56804 is a reply to message #56797 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 00:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, no kidding! Did you check out the size of the printer?
Glenn

Re: James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56818 is a reply to message #56804 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 09:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56842 is a reply to message #56793 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 17:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PopeDesign  is currently offline PopeDesign
Go to my shop
Very nice. Do they have any pictures right after it was printed. Just curious as to how much finishing work on "A" side surfaces they had to do or did not have to do.

-Jon Pope

Re: James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56843 is a reply to message #56842 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 17:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Oh, yes, there was a heck of a lot of post production work done on it. If you click on the 'Read the article' text in my post you can see some post-printing photo's but not straight out of the printer, as I recall.

Glenn

Re: James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56850 is a reply to message #56843 ] Wed, 14 November 2012 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PopeDesign  is currently offline PopeDesign
Go to my shop
Checked out the article and cool stuff. As much as I love using the 3D printing technology and it has come a long way, I'm still surprised they didn't CNC it with a really small step over. Sure longer run time and potentially many set ups. But next to no finishing work. I've seen machined acrylic come right off the bed that had a crystal clear transparent finish. I guess the run time of the printer must be significantly faster then CNC.

But regardless, this is really cool model that came out really nice.

-Jon Pope

Re: James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed. [message #56913 is a reply to message #56793 ] Thu, 15 November 2012 20:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Piers  is currently offline Piers
Go to my shop
Wow thats big!

formerly known as pdb

Previous Topic:pick up
Next Topic:Getting a Gloss Finish

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.