Home » Community » General Discussion » Compenetrating geometry?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Compenetrating geometry? [message #56377] Tue, 06 November 2012 13:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
Something that I found nowhere examined: does compenetrating geometry work?

In example, if I have two objects, and I connect them adding a couple of pins that intersect both the models, is it ok for the Shapeways system?

This would save a lot of modeling time.

BTW was one of my threads deleted? It took quite some time to me to write it down... it would be nice to receive a message regarding the too much spam on forum instead than seeing threads disappearing without notice...

Abide.
Re: Compenetrating geometry? [message #56382 is a reply to message #56377 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 14:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You can model like that, but all free pieces must be intersecting. If they are sitting face to face, it gives Shapeways software fits. The software automatically joins intersecting items so you don't get charged twice for overlapping geometry.

If your post was deleted for a reason, you would get a message as to why. Recently there have been a lot of double posts because of an issue on the forums that we're working on. So we have been deleting double posts without notice. You can also click on your user name and view all of your posts, to see if it's still there somewhere.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Compenetrating geometry? [message #56389 is a reply to message #56382 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 15:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Tue, 06 November 2012 14:00

You can model like that, but all free pieces must be intersecting. If they are sitting face to face, it gives Shapeways software fits. The software automatically joins intersecting items so you don't get charged twice for overlapping geometry.

If your post was deleted for a reason, you would get a message as to why. Recently there have been a lot of double posts because of an issue on the forums that we're working on. So we have been deleting double posts without notice. You can also click on your user name and view all of your posts, to see if it's still there somewhere.

Great thank you!

As for the other post it's no problem, maybe when I submitted it I occurred again in some net problem.

For this thread in example I occurred again in that "Gate 504" or something error.

Abide.
Re: Compenetrating geometry? [message #56390 is a reply to message #56389 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 16:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
If you are designing in Detail or WSF and your pieces are not continuos, ie they have holes, you can use loops instead of struts. Indeed loops have advantages over struts as they are less likely to break when the piece is picked up.

Bill Bedford
Re: Compenetrating geometry? [message #56393 is a reply to message #56377 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 16:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Uhhh what do you mean by "loops"???

Anyway, I'm not much interested in having the object in a single piece with pins intact.
What I want is that I only send one object to print, no matter if when they take it off the printer it breaks the pins.
The important thing is that the final result gives me the 2 or 3 objects the right way.
It's just to save some money as I plan to make many objects composed by more parts.

Another stupid question: can I lay down in a single file more parts?
This would solve my problem in another way, as for the moment I don't really need to keep the parts connected in any way.
No need for pins, but I don't know if Shapeways is ok with this: it will occupy more of the planar surface available so they couldn't print more objects from other clients.

Abide.
Re: Compenetrating geometry? [message #56395 is a reply to message #56393 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 19:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Loops like this:-

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_469695_377638_1338416855.jpg

Or you could do cages

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_460448_158889_1338413389.jpg

Bill Bedford
Re: Compenetrating geometry? [message #56402 is a reply to message #56377 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 20:15 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Cool to know Very Happy so I can place anything where I want, with this material, without having a base for it, that's so cool!

But aren't those objects still all connected to the structured with small pins?

Is it ok with white strong material to make pins 0.5 mm or better keep on 0.7 or 1 mm?

[Updated on: Tue, 06 November 2012 20:24 UTC]

Abide.

Previous Topic:Reliëf
Next Topic:Wire tests

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.