Home » Community » General Discussion » Considerations for designing dice
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Considerations for designing dice [message #56368] Tue, 06 November 2012 05:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar conpanbear  is currently offline conpanbear
Go to all my models
Hello "Shapers"!

I have been thinking about designing simple D6 dice, but I am wondering how I can ensure a design that will produce a fair die, particularly with regard to correct weighting? I read through the forums, but there doesn't seem to be much about this. I have yet to design anything, but 3D printing is so exciting! Any tips for designing dice? Very Happy
Re: Considerations for designing dice [message #56369 is a reply to message #56368 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 07:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
conpanbear wrote on Tue, 06 November 2012 05:53

Hello "Shapers"!

I have been thinking about designing simple D6 dice, but I am wondering how I can ensure a design that will produce a fair die, particularly with regard to correct weighting? I read through the forums, but there doesn't seem to be much about this. I have yet to design anything, but 3D printing is so exciting! Any tips for designing dice? Very Happy

The first suggestiion that comes to my mind is that where you carve in example 5 holes for n. 5 face, you put the hole volume inside the dice on the back of the face to counterbalance the holes missing material.
This of course is not a perfect solution because the weight would not be as far as the holes are on the face and so it wouldn't give back the total equilibrium of the dice but I think it would be fairly ok, if you are not an engineer.

Otherwise my dear you will have to go and make calculations for each face... and know how to do them Very Happy

Abide.
Re: Considerations for designing dice [message #56379 is a reply to message #56368 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 13:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Unless you add/remove a good portion of weight to a side, you shouldn't significantly influence the outcome of the roll. The calculations would be endless, as you'd also have to calculate the weights distance from the center and aerodynamics and etc. So basically as long as you don't try to make the die unfair, it's mostly be fair.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Considerations for designing dice [message #56424 is a reply to message #56379 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 14:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You could model the holes or bumps of the dice so that their total volume on each side is always the same? As the numbers are symmetrical I'd guess that this would result in a fair and balanced weight distribution.

To illustrate: make the dot of the number '1' side 6x deeper than the dots on the number '6' side.

Good luck!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Considerations for designing dice [message #56540 is a reply to message #56424 ] Fri, 09 November 2012 06:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar conpanbear  is currently offline conpanbear
Go to all my models
Excellent Smile Thank you for all the great replies. I think fairness would become more of an issue for complex designs; as I am just starting out, it may seem that weight concerns will be manageable. Thanks again!!

Previous Topic:Transparent detail, water soluble?
Next Topic:Tips for 3D Printing with Sketchup

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.