Home » Community » General Discussion » Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56365] Tue, 06 November 2012 03:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar theclonefactory  is currently offline theclonefactory
Go to my shop
I am working on a part for LEGO and wanted to match LEGO red as best I could. When I heard about the ploished, red, strong, flexible (PRSF) I was really interested in seeing how close the color would match. Previously I was purchasing the polished, white, strong, flexible (PWSF) and using a dye bath.

I just received my order today and was slightly disapointed to find that the shapeways red does not match with LEGO red. I'm sure though that LEGO red is a custom color that they mix. I am however still enthused with Shapeways new polished colored offerings. Even more so after I went through a dye test.

Using 4 PWSF pieces and 4 PRSF pieces I did a dye test to see what would get me closest to the color I was looking for. The PRSF proved to be a much better candidate for dyeing then the PWSF. The colors are much brighter and vibrant using the same dye bath. As you can see from my photo the PRSF picks up the red much nicer and is more even that the PWSF. Even after 20 minutes of dyeing the PWSF I wasn't at the color I wanted

Conclusion:
I am glad that shapeways is expanding their polished colored line and this test has shown me that when dyeing is an issue that I will definately go with the polished colored offerings. Now bring on the polished black. Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=22417&private=0

• Attachment: compare.jpg
    (Size: 79.50KB, Downloaded 337 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 06 November 2012 03:55 UTC]

Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56366 is a reply to message #56365 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 04:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You're getting a better red because the base is already red, you're reinforcing it. Similar issue than with car colors, some colors require a special primer or they will give an unexpected/poor result. Also, new "dyed" materials are dyed+pigmented (or so it was said in the blog article), so the color gets inside but also covers the outside (it sounds like dye procedure plus "paint"). Your home procedure is only dye. Have you tried paints? Or even playing with pigments and some kind of carrier, you can buy them in small pots from art or industrial suppliers.
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56376 is a reply to message #56365 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 13:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
May I ask why such a mania for this colour? Laughing

Abide.
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56392 is a reply to message #56365 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Wow I love the detailed experimentation!

And I'm glad you like our red, I like it too, its quite vibrant Smile

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56418 is a reply to message #56392 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 05:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Brick  is currently offline Brick
Go to my shop
how can i pick something like PRSF? i.e. one of my models offers polished white, and unpolished white, red, blue, etc. , but not polished red, blue, etc.
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56419 is a reply to message #56418 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 08:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
All the colored "strong&flexible" materials except black are polished by default since the introduction of
the new dyeing process on October 17th, so you do not have to change anything in your materials
selection to get the "new" red. (You may want to add the new colors that were introduced at that date to
the color selection for older shop items - that is not done automatically as far as I know)
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56427 is a reply to message #56365 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
That's exactly right, and we will be changing the description shortly in the Materials Picker to actually say "Polished" to make it clearer.

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #56726 is a reply to message #56365 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
BTW the Eindhoven crew did a great job with the "Dutch tomatoes" that just hit the grocery stores around here -
it is only the taste that gives the PRSF away Laughing
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #57314 is a reply to message #56365 ] Fri, 23 November 2012 09:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tomrust  is currently offline tomrust
Go to my shop
What did you use for the dye, and what was your procedure? Have you dyed other colors?
We're still not happy with the black - am wondering if you've tried PWSF with black dye.
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #57322 is a reply to message #56365 ] Fri, 23 November 2012 12:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
The colours look amazing, like WSF will there be an option not to have colours polished, keeping cost down?

[Updated on: Fri, 23 November 2012 12:03 UTC]

www.dotsan.com
Re: Polished Red Strong Flexible - Initial Impressions [message #57742 is a reply to message #57322 ] Fri, 30 November 2012 15:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Regrettably I've had to cancel the colour options for the Stag Head because of the new tumbling process for colours. Of course this is shame as the model looked great in the colours and it means creating less refined designs with colour. I imagine there will be many models from other designer which will fail during tumbling. Will there be an option as there is with WSF not to have polished colours?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 November 2012 15:40 UTC]

www.dotsan.com

Previous Topic:The right printing material?
Next Topic:Spacedraw, the first full-featured 3d-modeling software for tablets and smartphones

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.