Home » Community » General Discussion » Choices of Material for Chopsticks
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Choices of Material for Chopsticks [message #56123] Sun, 28 October 2012 20:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar notlkk  is currently offline notlkk
Go to all my models
I'm thinking about making a pair of chopsticks and would like to know what choices do I have for the material. Thanks.
Re: Choices of Material for Chopsticks [message #56125 is a reply to message #56123 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 22:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mswlik  is currently offline Mswlik
Go to my shop
I believe that ceramics is the only food safe material. If you want to use them it would have to be that.
Re: Choices of Material for Chopsticks [message #56126 is a reply to message #56125 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 22:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar notlkk  is currently offline notlkk
Go to all my models
What about titanium or stainless steel? Are they food safe? And when we say they're not food safe what does it really mean?
Re: Choices of Material for Chopsticks [message #56129 is a reply to message #56126 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 22:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mswlik  is currently offline Mswlik
Go to my shop
I'm not really sure about titanium because shapeways doesn't offer it, I know some other companies do. I'm not exactly sure why Stainless Steel is not food safe it might say here http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel
Re: Choices of Material for Chopsticks [message #56143 is a reply to message #56129 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 08:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Shapeways "Stainless Steel" is not pure stainless, but a mix of actual stainless steel and bronze. The bronze component will oxidize and discolor easily.

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: Choices of Material for Chopsticks [message #56302 is a reply to message #56123 ] Mon, 05 November 2012 13:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
To achieve food safeness with any 3D printed item, you have to do a certified food safe process. Seeing the ceramics is glazed, which is a certified food safe process, we can say it is food safe. If you coat any of our other materials with a food safe material using a food safe process, then it would be food safe. Any none food safeness would not be on us though Very Happy

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:All-Metal Circa 1898 USS Holland Model Submarine
Next Topic:Wall Thickness Help Using Blender

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.