Home » Community » General Discussion » Searching on Key Words
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Searching on Key Words [message #56108] Sun, 28 October 2012 15:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar fred.oliver  is currently offline fred.oliver
Go to all my models
I've built up a wonderful collection of Shapeways spaceships in the past year - something I've wanted for almost 60 years.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to tell just how many there are to choose from on the website. I did a quick "study" a couple of weeks ago, using all the relevant key words I could think of. The table below shows what I found. The numbers represent the products tagged with those key words.

spaceship 392 starship 496
space ship 99 star ship 12
space ships 47 stars ships 3
spaceships 53 starships 205

You can also find models identified as "ufo" (62), "ufos" (55), "Martian," "Jovian," and probably more I haven't discovered yet.

It's kind of fun to search and I'm really not complaining, but would Shapeways and its designers sell more products if these were all labelled as simply "spaceship"? This "standardization" concept might apply to other product categories like airplanes.

Just a thought.
Re: Searching on Key Words [message #56112 is a reply to message #56108 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 17:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
Can't see any of your models.

Abide.
Re: Searching on Key Words [message #56114 is a reply to message #56108 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 18:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Seconded. (You can probably add "spacecraft" or "<species> craft" to your list as well).
As shapeways' customer base is apparently approaching 200000, there must be many
such unintentional variations in tag names, making them less and less useful as a
search term - especially when there is no fitting Category to limit the scope.

It would be immensely helpful if the current tag list was available somewhere, maybe even
as a list of checkboxes on a search page. (Perhaps limit it to the top N most used entries
- and/or those used in the user-selected Category - by default if the list has already grown
beyond manageable size)
Or does this exist already and I just have not found it ? All I know is the "Popular tags" section
on the homepage, and that is not very helpful if one is not looking for one of the ten or twelve
trending topics.
Re: Searching on Key Words [message #56115 is a reply to message #56112 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 18:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
@GODLIKE: Umm, I am pretty certain he meant "built a private collection out of models bought from the shops here"...

Previous Topic:Ash tray: is it possible?
Next Topic:How do you model multiple parts?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.