Home » Support » 3D Applications » OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #56020] Sat, 27 October 2012 03:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
Searched on forums but nothing found about it.

I'm exporting from Max, STL format is not native, at least in Max 2013, so I choose OBJ.

Problem is, the models are always too small and rescaled to be printable.

In Max, I tried to change the UNITS to meter, cm, mm, rescale the objects, change the scale in the export options... NOTHING WORKED.

Any idea?

Abide.
Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #56046 is a reply to message #56020 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 18:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Found solutions, let it be Laughing

Abide.
Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #56072 is a reply to message #56046 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 23:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Share the technique then, greedy.Smile

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #56092 is a reply to message #56072 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 05:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Fredd wrote on Sat, 27 October 2012 23:21

Share the technique then, greedy.Smile

Duh... just my stupidity... I'm using Max since years and years and I forgot how to use the Units options Laughing never fiddled with that much, for my job it was only important to know how much a unit was, but in this case it's important to set it right.

It's IMPORTANT to set the SYSTEM UNIT SETUP, the button on the top of the window that pops up when opening the menu, rather than setting the options in the UNITS SETUP first popping window, that's all Very Happy

Maybe this would be a little specification to add in the Max section of this website of course Very Happy

Abide.
icon14.gif  Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #67879 is a reply to message #56092 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 08:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SisterKyoya  is currently offline SisterKyoya
Go to my shop
Thank you very, very much for posting this! I had been struggling for a very long time to get a proper working upload today. This finally made it work! Now I don't have to worry about guessing the measurements when I have a specific size piece to make, like some replacement pieces for my collector dolls.

Have a great day! Very Happy
Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #67880 is a reply to message #67879 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 08:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Glad it helped you! Thanks for letting me know! Smile

Abide.
Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #67881 is a reply to message #67880 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 09:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I am just tickled to bits about this. The company that makes the dolls I collect doesn't offer replacement pieces for my favorite doll and he has had broken ankles for about 6 months now and can't stand on his own. The pieces broke because of poor design, but now I can get him properly fixed! Here is a pic of him if you would like to see. He's only standing because his shoes are supporting his ankles. The 3D piece I was trying to work on today is another doll piece that quite a few of my online collector friends and myself really need if it works the way I hope.

You really have my deep appreciation. Very Happy
Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #67882 is a reply to message #67881 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 09:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Great! That's a HE? Laughing

You can now create your own puppets!

Abide.
Re: OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale [message #67883 is a reply to message #67882 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 10:31 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Yup, he's a he, just not a very manly one. Very Happy

Previous Topic:Help needed making a color gradient into a 3D print in 3DS Max
Next Topic:VRML error

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.