Home » Community » General Discussion » Printing Sterling Silver Stone Settings.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing Sterling Silver Stone Settings. [message #55582] Thu, 18 October 2012 16:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar Gratz  is currently offline Gratz
Go to my shop
Hello,

Has anyone experimented with printing bezel cups and prong settings in Sterling Silver, then trying to set a stone in it? If so, do you have any suggestions on the setting process or wall thickness issues? I'm mostly worried about being able to bend over the rim of the cup or the prong in the printed material. Any information would be beyond appreciated.
-Sam

-Sam Gratz
Re: Printing Sterling Silver Stone Settings. [message #56012 is a reply to message #55582 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 02:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tigermoth  is currently offline Tigermoth
Go to my shop
Gday Sam...I would also be interested to hear of peoples experiences with printing bezels/prongs for stone setting.
Bezel thicknesses vary greatly depending on the stone and the design, but as the minimum wall thickness for sterling states .6mm and the wire for post setting is .8, so keeping in mind that bezel wire starts at .3 and the fact that not all stones are cut exactly the same, It might be worthwhile making the bezel separately.
That said its still not impossible with these thicknesses, being able to print bezels would make a huge difference to workload.
Once again, would love to hear from a SW-er who has successfully done so Smile
Re: Printing Sterling Silver Stone Settings. [message #56213 is a reply to message #55582 ] Fri, 02 November 2012 04:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Yeah, check out what I found online. Go big or go home right...? its pretty safe to say that the prongs holding up this purple puppy are thicker then1mm. This was not printed on Shapeways.... I just found it online and its given me an idea on a ring in this style. Completely different, but Gotti in appearance. Im waiting on a n13 carat red ruby for my design and looking for a green emerald round cut to make another ring. Its gonna be something Medusa would wear with the prongs being cobra snakes and the green emerald stone. Its gonna look nice...

index.php?t=getfile&id=22273&private=0

• Attachment: 6.jpg
    (Size: 43.81KB, Downloaded 67 time(s))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:Will it print? I am so new it isn't funny
Next Topic:3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.