Home » Community » General Discussion » Hats off to the staff of Shapeways!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55779] Mon, 22 October 2012 21:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
Today I spent the entire afternoon in my local university's 3d printing lab. They have 2 different 3d printers, 1 is a Zcorp color powder based machine, 1 dimension abs printer, a 5 axis cnc and a cnc router, 2 50W CO2 lasers and a next 3d scanner.

After watching the staff deal with build table cleaning, print head cleaning, part cleaning, wrong type of material in the lasers, incorrect part fixturing in the cnc's, memory addressing errors on the 3d scanner, incorrect file types, corrupt files, files missing textures, non-mani files and a slew of other issues.
All on a much much smaller scale than Shapeways...the staff of Shapeways should be commended for getting the volume of work done that they do!!!

Anyone who has a hard time understanding why your model might not be quite perfect should go see a 3d print house and just stand around and watch what goes on!

I have a much better understanding of the complexities involved with this industry, going in the shop to machine my parts is a cakewalk by comparison.

I have been told I can come in anytime and print my own items, guess what, I will still send my files to Shapeways. It is far easier to just send my files in and get my finished items shipped right to me!

Thanks again Shapeways for making this all so easy!

bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55797 is a reply to message #55779 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Thank you so much bvr, I'll make sure the whole team sees this!

We do work really hard to make it "look easy"! Obviously we want to constantly improve but it's really nice to hear positive feedback, it makes us get up in the morning!

Best,
Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55805 is a reply to message #55779 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 14:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW Thanks

I posted this on the blog to share the love.

we REALLY appreciate the positive feedback

Makes it all worthwhile

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1708-Found-in-the-For ums-A-Pat-on-the-Back-and-Insight-into-the-Complexities-of-3 D-Printing-at-Scale.html

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55823 is a reply to message #55805 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jrey  is currently offline jrey
Go to all my models
Yeah, I think about how I despise dealing with ink printers. Add another dimension and a bunch of powder... I'm glad you guys do it, so I don't have to.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 October 2012 23:06 UTC]

Re: Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55840 is a reply to message #55823 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 03:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar henryseg  is currently offline henryseg
Go to my shop
One more dimension </pedant>.
Re: Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55845 is a reply to message #55840 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 09:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Woot!!! Awesome! Very Happy

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55897 is a reply to message #55840 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 23:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jrey  is currently offline jrey
Go to all my models
henryseg wrote on Wed, 24 October 2012 03:38

Yes, yes, that is what I meant.
Re: Hats off to the staff of Shapeways! [message #55899 is a reply to message #55897 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 01:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
jrey wrote on Wed, 24 October 2012 23:06

henryseg wrote on Wed, 24 October 2012 03:38

Yes, yes, that is what I meant.

jrey,
I liked your post before the edit...you had a 4d printer Very Happy phooey on physics..har har
bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time

Previous Topic:Making a skin for a wall phone
Next Topic:Description Text

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.