Home » Support » 3D Design » tolerance material (or more accurately clearance)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
tolerance material (or more accurately clearance) [message #55773] Mon, 22 October 2012 17:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar simonp54  is currently offline simonp54
Go to my shop
Hello,

I'm going to be building items with poles and holes... what I need to know is what clearances need to be between the hole and the pole...

I am looking for a snug fit but must not be loose...

I know its going to depend on the material... but surely there should be a guidelines info table that gives this kind of information... I cannot seem to find anything...

e.g. Hole 2.00mm --- pole to go through hole (tight) =?mm

I have seen people producing models for "friction tests" (see bartv) but think that we all need to know this... so should be supplied as support info?

Should also mention that I wish to print them in place at the same time without fusing together!

Many thanks in advance.

S

[Updated on: Mon, 22 October 2012 17:01 UTC]

Re: tolerance material (or more accurately clearance) [message #55774 is a reply to message #55773 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 17:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
I am a bit confused, you want snug but removable fits, while printed in place?
You can't have both yet.

On the design guidelines for each material you can find the minimal clearance for parts to be separate.
But depending on the material you should take into account that large contact surfaces need more clearance due to friction (especially s&f)

With the accuracy from the same pages you should be able to determine whether a material is suited for your required levels.
For snug fits, some sort of snap-fit is usually the way to go.

There used to be a few pages with hole and peg examples, but I guess the info itself is at least compile in the design guidelines.

Cheers!

Oops, example link: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines

[Updated on: Mon, 22 October 2012 17:54 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: tolerance material (or more accurately clearance) [message #55820 is a reply to message #55774 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 21:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
For Frosted Detail I find 0.06mm clearance all around the pole (if pole diameter is 0.99mm, hole diameter is 1.11mm) works well. I first lightly cleaned out the hole with a knife to remove the 'boogers' left from printing (look at the part under a 20x magnifier; they look like boogers Very Happy ) but you don't need to do that if the hole is open on the other end and you're careful pushing them together.

I've successfully put together Frosted Ultra Detail parts with only 0.03mm difference in diameter (pole is 0.99mm, hole is 1.02mm) but you need to be very careful you don't snap off the pole when you insert it into the hole the first time.

I swear I heard Beavis and Butthead laughing as I wrote that last paragraph Laughing

Edit: The parts mentioned above were printed separately and assembled after delivery, not printed in their final assembly locations.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 October 2012 21:16 UTC]

Previous Topic:Need help hollowing out a design
Next Topic:Materials sample kits

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.