Home »  » Work in progress » PC Case from SWF
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
PC Case from SWF [message #55621] Thu, 18 October 2012 21:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar MrFluffyThing  is currently offline MrFluffyThing
Go to all my models
I've had a concept in my head for several years for a Mini- ITX case with support for a 10.5" GPU through a 1U Riser. This week, I've decided to see if it's possible to print using Shapeways through weight reduction and thinning of materials where necessary to keep the cost below $200. The result is the WIP screenshot below. Feel free to ask me anything or give opinions on possible strength or printing difficulties. All supporting walls are 2mm thick and at least 4mm wide.

http://i45.tinypic.com/20pqxvs.png

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 21:06 UTC]

Re: PC Case from SWF [message #55689 is a reply to message #55621 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 23:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jrey  is currently offline jrey
Go to all my models
Interesting concept. Wouldn't dust collection be an issue with an open case like that? I guess you just have to stay on top of it.
Re: PC Case from SWF [message #55690 is a reply to message #55689 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 23:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
There will be more dust than normal because you won't have any filters, but open cases are nothing new. The dust also will only collect in the fans, so isolated dust will be easier to remove. Mostly this is a proof of concept as it's been too difficult to build this with conventional tools.
Re: PC Case from SWF [message #55849 is a reply to message #55621 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 13:25 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Finally ready to test print the motherboard tray and PCIe brackets to verify everything fits and to see how rigid my design is on this scale. I've already tested WSF for threading 6-32 case screws and it worked out wonderfully. Here's a link to the test print.

Previous Topic:Centaur figure
Next Topic:Office of illusions (Architecture Art)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.