Home »  » Work in progress » Mechanical uses of glazed ceramic parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mechanical uses of glazed ceramic parts [message #55494] Wed, 17 October 2012 14:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar PreparacionesCSC  is currently offline PreparacionesCSC
Go to my shop
Hi everybody.

I´m starting really challenging proyect with some glazed ceramic parts and I got some questions about the ceramics printing process and mechanical use of these parts.

Standard ceramic pottering need to design/make models almost 7% bigger due to the shrinking "cooking" process.

How about ceramic printing?

Other question is about thermal resistance of the glazed ceramic parts.

Would any of these parts handle temperatures about 500ºC?

And last question is about mechanical use. I want to make a part that spins with tight tolerances touching a polished metal ring.

Hardness of the glazed surface?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cesar.
Re: Mechanical uses of glazed ceramic parts [message #55495 is a reply to message #55494 ] Wed, 17 October 2012 15:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Shrinkage very much depends on thickness and volume of the model as well as the moisture content of the base material, so to make the item come out to dimension is nearly impossible. The Ceramic material is very fragile, I wouldn't use it in a mechanical function. And for the temperature, The Ceramics materials page states "It is heatproof to 500C/932F degrees. "

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:iPhone 5 dock
Next Topic:Polyhedral Sculpture #30 (4.9 cm)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.