Home » Support » 3D Printing » Why No Loose Parts?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why No Loose Parts? [message #55408] Tue, 16 October 2012 01:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
The restriction of having no loose parts in a model is restrictive and greatly reduces the quality and ease of certain models. And don't tell me the printing process can't handle it - I've used 3D printers before and they are designed to be able to create intricate models with various independently moving parts. I'm trying to design a model with some small and intricate pieces in it, and it's a major b***h trying to work out ways to assemble the model without using glue (which wouldn't hold on stainless steel very well, and even if it would, the pieces I'm working with are quite small, it would be very annoying to hand glue them together).

Long story short, I don't understand why the rule is no loose parts. 3D printers have the capability to do that - in fact it's one of their major advantages, that models can be printed already assembled, instead of in pieces to be assembled later.
Re: Why No Loose Parts? [message #55410 is a reply to message #55408 ] Tue, 16 October 2012 02:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Some print systems can, others not at all (or not without some postprocessing, which SW doesn't offer). Check the material info pages, the table in the Design Guidelines tab of each material. Watch videos about how each machine works.

The steel-bronze puts the bronze by infusion, so all parts must be connected to let the molten metal get everywhere. The silver is done via investment casting, and a loose part would mean no path for the wax to escape or the metal to enter. The best you can get is add connections and then remove them upon arrival (the step SW doesn't offer).

On the other hand, people print chains in WSF every now and then, without any extra steps.
Re: Why No Loose Parts? [message #55411 is a reply to message #55410 ] Tue, 16 October 2012 02:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Hmmm, I see. Seems an awful shame to add a connection and pay for that volume when you're just going to break or sand it off anyway, though.

Right, guess it can't be helped. Hopefully a new method is developed, eventually, but it's still new. Thanks for the reply!

Previous Topic:generating interior lattice or scaffold to reduce print volume
Next Topic:Largest printing size

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.