Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Sandstone seamless assembly?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sandstone seamless assembly? [message #55384] Mon, 15 October 2012 14:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar cloaca  is currently offline cloaca
Go to all my models
Hey, i'm going to assemble a large part from several smaller Sandstone parts., I want the seams to be invisible.

I was thinking of emulating the printed matter by mixing some glue and sandstone dust and applying that to the seams.. Anyone have pointers or tips based on personal experience?

[Updated on: Tue, 16 October 2012 12:19 UTC]

Re: Sandstone seamless assembly? [message #56449 is a reply to message #55384 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 22:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I think you will be better off leaving the seams plain. As long as the edges are flush and not chipped, it should be fairly discrete. The reason a post-application won't work is that the seam will become saturated, so it will become glossy. It will also protrude, and if you try to sand it, it will turn a dusty white. Put a gel-type super glue on the inside of the seams, far back enough that it will not squeeze out, then gently clamp the two halves (with a rubber band, for example) and place the model, seam downward, on a flat surface so the edges will be flush.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Sandstone seamless assembly? [message #56461 is a reply to message #56449 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 08:05 UTC Go to previous message
avatar cloaca  is currently offline cloaca
Go to all my models
alright, good tips, thanks!

Previous Topic:How to smooth out a strong and flexible model?
Next Topic:Cleaning slime crystals of FUD?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.