Home » Community » General Discussion » Model print in silver "not available"?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55374] Mon, 15 October 2012 10:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar Tigermoth  is currently offline Tigermoth
Go to my shop
Hi guys I just uploaded a model that didn't seem to break the design guidelines for silver, yet it is not available in my options for printable materials.
Most other materials seem to be available however, including stainless.
Have I done something to the file to make it this way, could it be a glitch?... or Is it more likely I have simply broken some design rule particular to silver?

[Updated on: Mon, 15 October 2012 10:40 UTC]

Re: Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55375 is a reply to message #55374 ] Mon, 15 October 2012 12:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Do you see an exclamation mark ("!") over the entry for silver when you pull up the material
selector in "Edit" mode ? If so, an explanation should appear when you move the mouse over it.
Re: Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55376 is a reply to message #55375 ] Mon, 15 October 2012 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Nothing like that. In the materials list in edit mode, everything from sandstone down is uncheckable and says "not printable"
Re: Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55377 is a reply to message #55374 ] Mon, 15 October 2012 12:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Any chance you can share the link to the item with us? Or if not, can you tell us the bounding box?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55378 is a reply to message #55377 ] Mon, 15 October 2012 13:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
3.214 w x 3.092 d x 3.438 h ...hmm NOW I see the problem thanks Youknowwho4eva!
I had no idea the max height was only 3cm! Doesn't seem to give much wriggle room for large rings, unless you build them narrow and align it lying down? ..back to the drawing board I guess :/
Re: Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55379 is a reply to message #55374 ] Mon, 15 October 2012 13:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
We may not always like the answer, but there is always an answer Smile. The reason is that's the limit of the wax printer. As much as we ask it to print larger, it's stuck at it's mechanical restraints.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55402 is a reply to message #55379 ] Mon, 15 October 2012 21:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ha, notice how I wishfully put my least favorite answer option last?

So does this mean If I shrink the 3.092d dimension to under 3, it will automatically align itself into the bounding box? Even though it may no be the optimal print axis?

Also, I was under the impression Silver production was similar to Stainless sintering, as previous SW silver prints seemed to have no discernible sprue marks! Has it always been lost wax? If so, where are the sprue marks!? (not that I'm complaining about the lack of them! Smile )
Re: Model print in silver "not available"? [message #55405 is a reply to message #55402 ] Mon, 15 October 2012 22:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Yes, the silver is cast from printed waxes, not sintered directly. I'm not aware of anyone at all who can sinter silver.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com

Previous Topic:Model may or may not have issues
Next Topic:Reproduction Of A Classic Car Part From 1938 With 3D Printing.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.