Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » Buying » Problem with order #153520
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon9.gif  Problem with order #153520 [message #55282] Sat, 13 October 2012 03:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar psychofox  is currently offline psychofox
Go to all my models
Hi,

I'm looking for some urgent assistance with this order please. I've emailed service@shapeways.com but as it's the weekend, and as I've had some problems in the past, I thought I would try posting here too, as I got a quicker and better response on here the last time I had an issue with an order.

I had an email on 05/10/12 saying my model was being checked, then one later that day saying it was on its way to the printers. I thought all was ok and my order had been approved until I found a message in my spam/junk folder this morning from 08/10/12 saying one of my designs would not be printed as one of the walls was too thin. I've just noticed the refund has been credited to my account, but this is no good to me, I need the design printed and shipped with the others as soon as possible please.

Can someone please look to get the failed design sent for printing as soon as possible please? I'm quite happy to let the parts with thin wall thickness fail. I'll take the risk, as they were only very small and insignificant part of the design. Or if this is not possible, I can redraw the design with a thicker wall, but I worry this will take longer and I need the design urgently.

Many Thanks,

Rhys
Re: Problem with order #153520 [message #55294 is a reply to message #55282 ] Sat, 13 October 2012 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I do not have access to the order system, or I'd offer to take a look for you.

The problem with Thin Wall rejections is that they not only pose a risk to your model, but in certain printers, they also pose a risk to other buyer's models that are in the printer at the same time. A "thin wall" can actually destroy an entire batch of items being printed. Asking Shapeways to "let my model print anyway" is not as easy as you think. Basically, to do so, they would have to print your model by itself, placing purchases from other buyers on hold, delaying the print queue, and increasing their labor costs.

When this was first explained to me, it made no sense..it took me a while for the concept to get into my head.

There are two different situations.....

1) For the Detail materials (White, Black, Transparent, Frosted, Frosted Ultra), think of what would happen if you taped a penny to a peice of paper and tried to run it thru your ink jet printer. The printer would jam and cause a real mess. Remember that these items are printed in very thin layers. For these 3d printers, if your thin wall ends up pointing downward, then just the edge of that wall is printed as a single sliver of material, before the layer above it is printed. The trouble is.. the print head itself is many times larger than the small layer of material that was just deposited. It's entirely possible for the little peice of material to slide around as the print head comes back over it. There is a very real possibility that the sliver of material will cause the print head to "bump" and lose it's proper XY registration. When this happens, remember.. there could be 100 purchases from other buyers in the print envelope along with yours. It would cause all the other models to have a defect, not just yours alone.

2) For Steel, Glass, and Ceramic, these items come out of the printer in a "green state" and have to be transferred into a kiln. There, if you have a thin wall, it is exceedingly easy for that part to break while it is being moved to the kiln. Here, it's more a matter of the fact that Shapways has such a liberal return policy. They would rather not produce things that are likely to get returned by the customer as "Not what I ordered". I have a Feedback item requesting notes to be sent to the production team such that we could indicate "Test print only" and the like, but that is still a enhancement for the future.

It's good that you started with service@shapeways.com, let's see what they say, but I fully expect that you need to "fatten" your surfaces.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Problem with order #153520 [message #55298 is a reply to message #55294 ] Sat, 13 October 2012 14:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar psychofox  is currently offline psychofox
Go to all my models
Ok, well that sounds fair enough. I have redrawn the item and uploaded it, so if anyone from shapeways reads this, please can you now add this model: http://www.shapeways.com/model/735818/6630faa27b6f3bcb21ce52 bcfab13276 to my order and remove my refund.

Many thanks,

Rhys

Previous Topic:Ship date pending?
Next Topic:I Live in Canada: Does it display in USD or CDN?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.