Home » Support » 3D Printing » Why can't I print this in glass?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why can't I print this in glass? [message #55204] Thu, 11 October 2012 17:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar dcltdw  is currently offline dcltdw
Go to all my models
Hi, all.

This model is relatively large and solid, so I'm trying to figure out why it currently cannot be printed in glass. Any ideas why that is? Looking at the guidelines, my model is within the min/max bounding boxes, and the cross-arms are greater than 3mm -- so I'm not sure why I don't get the option.

• Attachment: qc2.dae
    (Size: 159.54KB, Downloaded 21 time(s))

Re: Why can't I print this in glass? [message #55206 is a reply to message #55204 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 17:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
When you look at the item in edit mode, you should be able to scroll down the materials to glass. If there is a ! mouse over that and it will tell you why. Do you have a link to the item?

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Why can't I print this in glass? [message #55207 is a reply to message #55206 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 17:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
No ! appears in the material listing.

Does this link work?
http://www.shapeways.com/model/732444/qc2.html
Re: Why can't I print this in glass? [message #55209 is a reply to message #55204 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Ah this thing again? Laughing I think there is a typo on the min bounding box. I'll check on it and let you know.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Why can't I print this in glass? [message #55210 is a reply to message #55209 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yup! I got it to work, at least for most of the materials (apparently), but not glass, which left me puzzled.

Now I'm also trying to make it hollow, but that's for a separate thread. Smile
Re: Why can't I print this in glass? [message #55733 is a reply to message #55210 ] Sun, 21 October 2012 02:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Any update on this? Glass is still not appearing as an option.
Re: Why can't I print this in glass? [message #55743 is a reply to message #55733 ] Sun, 21 October 2012 15:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
I've no idea why this part would have been rejected or not available in glass. Unless the 3"d exceeds the size limit set by SW. However, for my money I'd look into having these water jet cut from glass sheet. I'm fairly certain it would cost less, and esthetically, plate glass might be more appealing.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Material Weight
Next Topic:What material to use for painting?