Home » Community » It arrived! » Invisible Shrunken Heads
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Invisible Shrunken Heads [message #55156] Wed, 10 October 2012 20:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
I wanted to see how tiny I could still see detail in the frosted ultra detail material with this model of my head.

index.php?t=getfile&id=21511&private=0

That is part of my finger in the shot, and a dime at the bottom. This stuff is TINY!

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Invisible Shrunken Heads [message #55178 is a reply to message #55156 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Lincoln,

Could you try and spray a tiny layer of primer on your model.
This way a lot of details will show up which you don't see because of the transparent material.

But it's really great to see how small you can print the heads.

Mitchell

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Invisible Shrunken Heads [message #55181 is a reply to message #55178 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 10:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
I was wondering what to put on my transparent models to make the detail show. So its primer? Any kind of primer spray paint or is there a specific one that works best?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Invisible Shrunken Heads [message #55274 is a reply to message #55178 ] Fri, 12 October 2012 19:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Mitchell, I am not going to do that because I actually want them to be see through for the final project I am doing.

Also, they are so tiny that I think if I tried to spray it, it would get too much primer on it for it's size.

Lincoln

Mitchell Jetten wrote on Thu, 11 October 2012 09:42

Hi Lincoln,

Could you try and spray a tiny layer of primer on your model.
This way a lot of details will show up which you don't see because of the transparent material.

But it's really great to see how small you can print the heads.

Mitchell

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Invisible Shrunken Heads [message #55321 is a reply to message #55181 ] Sat, 13 October 2012 23:40 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Automotive spray, grey matte, should be a good candidate. The color and lack of shine means you would get the best range from shadows to highlights. If you want an even finer spray, Tamiya (brand dedicated to RC cars, scale tanks, etc) has one, but a lot more expensive.

Small size shouldn't be a problem, just spray in a short burst, starting and ending outside the parts, and moving quickly over them. Apply multiple small coats, leaving them to dry, instead of one thick. Of course, read the spray instructions about distance, shaking time, humidity, etc.

How big are the heads exactly? The coin is 1.35mm thick, but hard to compare in that photo, edge could be trimmed. You could make the item public, even if not for sale, that would also allow people to compare to the 3d render.

Previous Topic:Cubee Pendant and Dice
Next Topic:My iPhone5 Contest Entry: Tetrahedral iPhone5 Stand

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.