Home » Support » 3D Printing » How to print 3d coins from an image
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55127] Wed, 10 October 2012 09:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar Vento  is currently offline Vento
Go to all my models
Hello guys,
I'm not an expert of 3d printing and also I'haven't a good knowledge of 3d modelling.
As I work as an archaeologist I need to reproduce some small objects like ancient coins to make plastic replicas.

Can you explain to me how to do a 3d .stl model from an image in .jpg or .bmp (in black and white of course) ? Are there some freeware software to make this operation?

feel free to give me your advice!

Fede
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55140 is a reply to message #55127 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 14:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The easiest way http://www.shapeways.com/creator/2d_to_3d/

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55149 is a reply to message #55140 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 17:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 10 October 2012 14:34

The easiest way http://www.shapeways.com/creator/2d_to_3d/

Thanks for your support.
I did this operation on the online creator, but the result is very bad and I don't belive that it would be possible to print a 3d object from that .stl ...can you suggest me anothe solution to fix this problem?

Thank you very much!
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55152 is a reply to message #55127 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Another way would be to use blender, it's been a while since I did it though, and I wouldn't say that I'd be able to create a properly scaled model myself. You may want to check out the Modeler Needed section to find someone that can help model your coins.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55153 is a reply to message #55152 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 10 October 2012 19:04

Another way would be to use blender, it's been a while since I did it though, and I wouldn't say that I'd be able to create a properly scaled model myself. You may want to check out the Modeler Needed section to find someone that can help model your coins.

Thanks a lot, I'll follow your advice Wink
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55831 is a reply to message #55153 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 00:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
What picture do you want printed in 3d? Check out this link.

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5232 1&#msg_52321

[Updated on: Wed, 24 October 2012 00:04 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:Ring smaller than expected
Next Topic:What the heck does "your model needs a bit more love" indicate?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.