Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Printing » How to print 3d coins from an image
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55127] Wed, 10 October 2012 09:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar Vento  is currently offline Vento
Go to all my models
Hello guys,
I'm not an expert of 3d printing and also I'haven't a good knowledge of 3d modelling.
As I work as an archaeologist I need to reproduce some small objects like ancient coins to make plastic replicas.

Can you explain to me how to do a 3d .stl model from an image in .jpg or .bmp (in black and white of course) ? Are there some freeware software to make this operation?

feel free to give me your advice!

Fede
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55140 is a reply to message #55127 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 14:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The easiest way http://www.shapeways.com/creator/2d_to_3d/

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55149 is a reply to message #55140 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 17:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 10 October 2012 14:34

The easiest way http://www.shapeways.com/creator/2d_to_3d/

Thanks for your support.
I did this operation on the online creator, but the result is very bad and I don't belive that it would be possible to print a 3d object from that .stl ...can you suggest me anothe solution to fix this problem?

Thank you very much!
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55152 is a reply to message #55127 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Another way would be to use blender, it's been a while since I did it though, and I wouldn't say that I'd be able to create a properly scaled model myself. You may want to check out the Modeler Needed section to find someone that can help model your coins.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55153 is a reply to message #55152 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 10 October 2012 19:04

Another way would be to use blender, it's been a while since I did it though, and I wouldn't say that I'd be able to create a properly scaled model myself. You may want to check out the Modeler Needed section to find someone that can help model your coins.

Thanks a lot, I'll follow your advice Wink
Re: How to print 3d coins from an image [message #55831 is a reply to message #55153 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 00:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
What picture do you want printed in 3d? Check out this link.

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5232 1&#msg_52321

[Updated on: Wed, 24 October 2012 00:04 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:Ring smaller than expected
Next Topic:What the heck does "your model needs a bit more love" indicate?