Home » Community » It arrived! » Dog Bust
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dog Bust [message #54359] Fri, 21 September 2012 21:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar matb63  is currently offline matb63
Go to all my models
Hi guys, Ive been getting things printed from shape ways for a while, but this one is probably my best achievement yet.
Every now and again, we have to look after my Brother-in-Laws dog. And one time i decided to make a 3d model bust of him. This is how that turned out.

index.php?t=getfile&id=20786&private=0

Recently I decided to get the little guy printed, so here is that.

index.php?t=getfile&id=20787&private=0

What I did next was fill him with a mixture of plaster and air dry clay. To give it a more realistic weight. As i printed it hollow to save money there.
I then primed it and copper leafed it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=20788&private=0

I was pretty happy with that, but I wanted it to look more like a 500 year old roman bust on display in the vatican or something. So I used a chemical which ages the copper, and I ended up with this. Which I'm pretty happy about.

index.php?t=getfile&id=20790&private=0

So I've managed to get hold of a base for it which should be delivered in the next few days, so keep your eyes peeled to see him mounted in all his glory.

Hope your excited as I was with the project.
Cheers
Matt

Re: Dog Bust [message #54390 is a reply to message #54359 ] Sat, 22 September 2012 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Hi Matt,

wow, this looks great and the patina is awesome!
How did you "copper leafed" it and what chemicals did you use? Can you tell a few more details?

Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Dog Bust [message #54391 is a reply to message #54390 ] Sat, 22 September 2012 16:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar matb63  is currently offline matb63
Go to all my models
Hey Michael, the copper leaf was a little tedious. It's basically super thin sheets of real copper, which you apply with a soft brush after laying down a light coat of adhesive tot he surface. All the nooks and carnies made it a little bit of a challenge, specially since it was my first time trying to leaf something.

The chemical I then used is "Sophisticated finishes, Patina Green Antiquing Solution" its basically Ammonium Chloride and Copper Sulphate, which ages the copper. That I just painted over the finished copper leaf and let it work its magic.

Hope that help,
Cheers
Matt
Re: Dog Bust [message #54394 is a reply to message #54391 ] Sat, 22 September 2012 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Matt, thanks for the details. This is really cool way to pimp plastic prints!
You also did a great job by modelling the dog!
Michael

[Updated on: Sat, 22 September 2012 20:43 UTC]

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Dog Bust [message #54410 is a reply to message #54394 ] Sun, 23 September 2012 03:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Wow! Great job!

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Dog Bust [message #54495 is a reply to message #54410 ] Wed, 26 September 2012 05:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CactusBones  is currently offline CactusBones
Go to my shop
Love this! I have been thinking about coating some of my plastic prints with stainless steel paint. I will try to remember to share here if I do.
Re: Dog Bust [message #54990 is a reply to message #54359 ] Sat, 06 October 2012 21:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Matt,

you should add a tutorial to the "post production forum" ...
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id =95&
This is a great way to inprove plastic prints!

Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Dog Bust [message #55037 is a reply to message #54990 ] Mon, 08 October 2012 17:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Excellent work. Modelled in ZBrush? Love the patina on the model.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Klein Bottles variations
Next Topic:creepy crawlies

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.